Hiker Dies on Haystack Mtn.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry for everyone's loss on this and my best condolences. Also sorry for waiting this long to give those condolences as I always need a level of reflection in these types of situations but that is only selfish in retrospect. Being in the Mountains is always a part of the people that you are with. True Freindship has and will play a huge part here going forward .For the people directly involved hold the torch you have already had and continue to carry it. The Mountains have so much to give but sometimes they take it away also. Although the memories and the comradery is something that they will never have a chance of taking.

Ray

I never met Ray, or any of you for that matter, as I'm fairly new to the site, but I'd like to express my condolences to his friends and surviving family member.
It is times like this that makes us remember how fleeting life can be. Take each moment and live it fully. Ray died doing something he obviously loved.
Marty and Jason, heal with the knowledge that you were Rays friends to the end.

Very sad to hear. I've only witnessed a heart attack once, but that was in a building not too far from a hospital. I can't imagine being in that situation on the mountains, let alone off trail. It's good to know that in this time of sadness, we see there are good people out there - from Ray, who I was never fortunate enough to meet, to those who were with him, those who supported them, and the search and rescue folks.

Sorry for the loss...

I didn't know Ray, and only know Jason and Marty through these forums. I hope I'm not out of line to say when I gotta go, I'd like to go like Ray did. Out on a mountain, not layin' in a hospital with tubes stickin' out of me.

God speed, Ray.

I know what it's like to lose someone close, and worse, the helpless feeling of watching life fade away before your eyes. I know it sounds trite and doesn't really help now, but I know that in time Marty, you and Jason will come to terms with this. If you believe in such things, then you will realize that you were chosen to be with Ray at this time. From what I have read here, he couldn't have had two better people to be with at the end.

KDT

I never met Ray, but he had sent me congrats on a couple of my hikes! Wish I could of met him, but will remember him through the ones of you that knew him well!
Thanks for sharing stories and pics of a fellow VFTT companion!

My heartfelt condolences to his friends and family!

Jason & Marty, I'm glad you were with him and he knew his friends were by his side!

Ray

I don't post often but feel that I should now to honor Ray and the mountains. Almost 9 years ago, on October 30, 1999, my hiking partner Doug Thompson died about a quarter of a mile from the summit of Madison. He, too, died quite suddenly of a heart attack; he was almost the same age, 66. He dropped in his tracks, 10 feet in front of me. As with Jason and Ray, my attempt to resuscitate Doug was futile. Because we were near the summit of a popular peak at 1pm, I was quickly joined by many hikers, all skilled and thoughtful. Some of them - most notably Sam from Bangor - joined my resuscitation and - not wanting to let Doug go - we continued for 1/2 an hour before acknowledging the reality. With the wind picking up, and some light rain coming in, this amazing group of fellow-hikers fashioned a litter and laboriously carried Doug's body down off of the summit cone to place him for shelter under the (closed) Madison Springs Hut. Then some of the group led me - numb and speechless - down the Valley Way trail to Appalachia. The next day, SAR was organized and brought Doug's body down.
The out-pouring of support and love from the hiking community was amazing and wonderful and life-affirming. VFTT wasn't on-line yet, but the AMC On-line board let many of us express our remembrances and reflections.
The following June, when Doug's family hosted a memorial service at the summit of Washington, a number of the hikers who had helped me that day went up Lion Head with me and with Doug's son, carrying his ashes, which his wife later tossed into the summit winds.
I know that Doug died in the place he loved the most, doing that which he loved the most. I didn't know Ray, but I can't help but feel that the same must be true for him as well.
And things come full-circle. Because I am a sometimes hiking partner of Jason, the hiker who was with Ray! And - three or so years ago - Jason and our friend Greg had the kindness and quiet strength to accompany me back up to Madison for the first time since Doug died. I spoke with Jason a number of times about the pain and loss of my experience, and he has now experienced the same.
Doug and Ray, the mountains are yours. Jason, my hand is in yours.

Ray, Jason, Marty

The messages on VFTT in response to Ray's death and the way Jason and Marty attempted to revive him, and then stood by him on the way down have been words of sorrow, admiration, and inspiration. I've been moved as I've read them.
I have not met Ray or Marty, except in their comments on VFTT, but I've enjoyed some walks with Jason. From what I've read by and about Ray, I think he'd be honored by the testimony in the link from Gordon College provided by Sapblatt: "Ray had a deep faith. He was respected and loved by persons of all creeds and race, who readily recognized that in his success he never left God out as he walked passionately, yet humbly with his Creator."
A brief but poignant and admirable summation of a life.

I never met Ray but I always enjoyed his posts. He gave some helpful advice a few times. My thoughts and prayers for his family.

sapblatt said:
What a weekend - Ray was a friend of mine that I met through his major hiking partner, Marty.....Ray will be hiking with us in our thoughts on every hike for the rest of our days.

Great eulogy Mike. Very well written.

Marty, Jason and Sapblatt's words describe a man who will be truly missed by all whose lives he touched. My sincerest hopes that your memories bring you comfort and that we aspire to live our life in Ray's honorable tradition.

I have no idea what to say. My deepest sympathies to his loved ones, of course, and to Jason and Marty in particular for having been there.

I'm glad he had good, kind people with him in his final moments, but what a traumatic experience for the both of you!

This is very sad news. I first learned the news through the article in the local paper and was wondering as I read if Ray was a member of this board. I have been posting on VFFT since the 90's (the old Lexi Communication days) and have lived in Georgetown since the mid 80's. At one point I lived about 5 houses away from Ray's house and now live about 1/2 mile away; I walk my dogs past Ray's house several times a week. Despite all this we never had the opportunity to meet. After reading these posts and the article in the paper I know it is my loss. My condolences to all his friends and family.

Ray's wonderful cousins asked me to post the following message on their behalf:

"We want to express our sincerest gratitude and thanks to all the hiking community that has posted such comforting remarks and thoughts in regard to the passing of our cousin, Ray Loring. We are forever grateful for the remarkable service from the search and rescue personnel, the emergency services involved, and especially to Marty and Jason who handled an extreme situation with grace and dignity, and faithfully stayed on that mountain with Ray until he was safely down to the bottom. You are all the finest examples of kindness and goodness of human nature we know."

Love from his cousins, Eileen Murray and husband Michael Lyon, Sausalito, CA
and
Charlotte Murray Chapin, husband David Chapin, and son Christopher, North Palm Beach, FL

Deepest sympathies to Ray's family and friends, especially those that were close by his side that day and through his years. So encouraging to see someone that was so active in their life and kept enjoying what they chose to do. I never met Ray but this thread expresses the tempo with which he embraced his life. May the symphony of his soul play cheerfully from the woods as we make our own journey down lifes path!

My condolences to Ray's family and friends. Sounds like he was a great guy.