How crowded is Baxter State Park around Oct 1st?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dom15931

Reaction score
I am planning a trip to Maine and thinking of going to Baxter with the GF the week of October first. I have no clue of what to expect this time of the year as I am used to being there the mid summer months. Do the lots fill up quickly in the morning like in the summer? What effect does the Oct 15th (I believe thats the date) general park closing have upon the park crowds?

If anybody feels that without reservations a trip to Baxter SP is not feasable due to overcrowding, let me know. We will be staying at private campgrounds/motels outside of the park. Planning on 3 1/2 days there and 3 in Acadia NP tentativily.

We were originally gonna do a road trip clean from the ADKS to the Maine Coast, but this seems more relaxing and Baxter is a gem of a place to be!

If anybody's got some old early fall TR's feel free to did'em out!

Thanks,

Dom

Last edited:
You can make reservations within 10 days with a credit card over the phone. So the day before you leave call them and see what you can reserve.

Columbus day weekend is usually crowded, but other then that it is usually easy to get a site.

I just checked and columbus day is 13th so the 14 and 15 you should be able to get anything you want, probably the 13th as well as most people will be leaving that day. I was just thinking the park closes the 15th so no camping that nite, but you probably could get a site at chimney pond the 14th which would be spectacular!

grog

dom15931 said:
What effect does the Oct 15th (I believe thats the date) general park closing have upon the park crowds?
We will be staying at private campgrounds/motels outside of the park.
I would say no trouble parking for day hikes on weekdays, if weather is spectacular you could have trouble with Katahdin trailheads on weekends around Oct.1 - I've seen them fill

Note also that while campgrounds close on Oct.15, you can still drive in for day use weather permitting afterwards and the whole park may be less crowded. (At some point winter rules take effect but that is much later.)

Fantastic. I've been there the last 4-5 early Octobers in a row. Just keep in mind that if a K summit is in your plans, you may have to bracket a couple days for your attempt, as we've been iced/sleeted/snowed out on more than one occasion. Midweek, no problem. Weekends, you may need to be flexible about where you stay/hike.

Lots of moose!

Weatherman

For the Sunday on Labor Day weekend last year, we got in line at around 4:30am to grab the Roaring Brook trailhead for the Knife's Edge on a forecasted beautiful day. Only 3 cars behind us before the cutoff.

Past couple of years I've stayed there in September and October and ghave gotten campsites at Blackwoods without reservations.

It's been my experience that there isn't as many tourists around, unless you see a gargantuan cruise ship or two parked off Bar Harbor. Even then, those folks usually ain't hikin', they'se just shoppin'.

Good luck.

-Jamie