Completing the New England 3000 footers

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onestep

Reaction score
Markie Mark (aka Rollie, mhrsebago, etc) & I finished up the VT 3000 footers this weekend. On Sunday we did
BLUE RIDGE MTN (N PK)
BLUE RIDGE MTN (S PK)
CAPE LOOKOFF MTN
GILLESPIE PEAK (WHITE ROCKS)
and on Monday
MT TABOR
SALT ASH MTN
GREEN PEAK (MT AEOLUS)
LUDLOW MTN (E PK)
LUDLOW MTN (OKEMO MTN)
We are looking to complete the New England 451 this Saturday Sept 13th (weather permitting) on N Moat. We will be meeting at Diana's Bath trailhead for 9am, with Pizza & Beverage in N Conway afterwards.

All are welcome!

Wicked Awesome!

Digesting it for a while and then maybe spending some time in upstate New York?

Most excellent! I can't wait to read of your success!

What are 3000 footers? Are they considered mountains? How are the trails? Do you get a patch?

To answer Big Moose:
-3000 footers are what one does AFTER 4000 footers but BEFORE the 2000 footers.
-They are NOT mountains, but rather are bumps, peaks and prominences
-The trails go UP and DOWN
-I have lots of patches on my clothes from going UP and DOWN those 3000 foot bumps, peaks and prominences which have no trails

BigMoose, 3000 footers are what old men who can't climb real mountains entertain them selfs on. Like Mr Sebago said, they are not mountains... mostly just bumps and such. They generally do not have trails which again is good for us old guys cause we can't see well enough to follow one. I think a patch is available. It's used after one gets a stick in the eye.

timmus said:
Very nice guys, congrats.

SO, how many decades ago you started that list ?

:D
I started working on the 3k's shortly after completing the NEHH on 09-07-2005. At first my goal was to do the Maine 3k's. On 09-18-2005 I 'whacked Little, Big, and North Jackson. The bug bit :eek: , the rest is history! :D :D

A momentus occasion on North Moat. The three newest members of the elite 451 club - those who've completed the 451 summits in New England higher than 3,000 feet - were joined by a group including three of the previous finishers. The three newest finishers bring the total to thirty - meaning they and the other three attending accounted for 20% of the all-time completers! Despite dire forecasts, the weather dealt us a dry, sunny day. Congratulations to numbers 28, 29 and 30!

pix:
http://picasaweb.google.com/jtbyfield/451finishers2008

(look for captions and IDs beneath each picture)

Congratulations to all!

Back when Pat and I started entertaining notions of doing the list, in 1989, I think I remember the number of completers being about 20. Looks like those registers on Cow Ridge aren't going to get filled up any time soon, except with water.

audrey said:
Back when Pat and I started entertaining notions of doing the list, in 1989, I think I remember the number of completers being about 20.
Back when I had notions of 3k in the '70s, the number of completers was 0 :)

At that time nobody was even sure if ME could be done what with private land issues and distances, "Forest & Crag" has a neat quote about this.

Back then, the NH 3k was a separate objective and 2 of the first 3 finishers didn't go on to VT much less ME, I'm not sure anybody even tracks the separate state completions any more. If you compare the dropout rate now between the NH4k/NE4k and NH100/NE3k, you'll see that comparatively anybody who makes it to the NH100 is hooked :)

onestep said:
Markie Mark (aka Rollie, mhrsebago, etc) & I finished up the VT 3000 footers this weekend. On Sunday we did
BLUE RIDGE MTN (N PK)
BLUE RIDGE MTN (S PK)
CAPE LOOKOFF MTN
GILLESPIE PEAK (WHITE ROCKS)
and on Monday
MT TABOR
SALT ASH MTN
GREEN PEAK (MT AEOLUS)
LUDLOW MTN (E PK)
LUDLOW MTN (OKEMO MTN)
We are looking to complete the New England 451 this Saturday Sept 13th (weather permitting) on N Moat. We will be meeting at Diana's Bath trailhead for 9am, with Pizza & Beverage in N Conway afterwards.

All are welcome!
Congratulations Kurt & Mark

Kurt: I remember the "good old days" when we finished the VT part of the NEHH together (plus of course PatN and Scar Ridge) and Cold Hollow was an exotic seldom visited peak. And a pretty easy one when you look back.

Good luck on the 770 and then the NE 2Ks :)

Pb aka Rg

Audrey, how many did you get?
It's still doable!
One of Saturday's finishers was 71!!

onestep said:
BigMoose, 3000 footers are what old men who can't climb real mountains entertain them selfs on. Like Mr Sebago said, they are not mountains... mostly just bumps and such. They generally do not have trails which again is good for us old guys cause we can't see well enough to follow one. I think a patch is available. It's used after one gets a stick in the eye.

Who are you calling "old men", GrandPa? I think the average age of NE3K finishers will be coming down significantly in the next year or two, thanks to all of the advice that you've been kind enough to share with fellow obscure-peak-bagging enthusiasts. CONGRATS Kurt, Mark, and Herb!

A BIG congratulations to all of you. Unbelievable achievement.