Location of cave on Twin (Catskills)???

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cloudsplitter

Reaction score
My NY/NJ Trail Conference map notes a cave just below Twin's main summit. On two trips to Twin this spring the only feature that I've noticed in the area below the summit has been the obvious overhanging rock shelter below the lemon squeezer about 0.2 miles from the top. Is this the "cave", or am I missing some other obvious feature?? Thanks all...
-C.

Cloudsplitter said:
My NY/NJ Trail Conference map notes a cave just below Twin's main summit. On two trips to Twin this spring the only feature that I've noticed in the area below the summit has been the obvious overhanging rock shelter below the lemon squeezer about 0.2 miles from the top. Is this the "cave", or am I missing some other obvious feature?? Thanks all...
-C.

There is a cave. It is at the location of the overhang, but on the other side of the trail. There is a small space between some rocks just large enough for an adult to squeeze through. It opens up into a larger "room". There are several broken bottles and garbage inside so use cation. Probably three people could fit in thast space. The floor is not level so it would be difficult to sleep in the cave. The cave continues back about 20 or 30 feet to the right. There is another opening overhead about half way back it is too small for an adult to pass through. The opening narrows the further back you go.

Thanks!

Imarchant and others -
Thanks for the info...I'll have to look for it the next time I'm down that way. Ironically, my fiancee spotted the small opening that you're referring to this past weekend, but I didn't take the time to check it out...
Warren -
Great pic...I love the quarry.
-C.

Is the overhang rock cave the one with the engraved stone in front? The engraving mentions "The Incredible Floating Party" (I think those were the words), what the heck does that mean?

Tony

West Kill Cave

There is also supposed to be a cave on West Kill. I have not been up there yet. Does anyone know about this cave? I am planning to go there on 6/13. I will look for that cave also. I will be hiking from Spruceton to Stony Clove Notch. I will have then completed the Devil's Path.

Last edited: