Mount Cabot , via Bunnell Notch, Mt Cabot trails 9/11/08

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silverfox

Reaction score
Carrying the flag to MT Cabot, 9/11/08, from the fish hatchery

We set out in the dark this morning heading for New Hampshires northernmost 4K, Mount Cabot which we were to approach from the Fish Hatchery North of Berlin... Beautiful drive north with valley fog and the mountaintops all in crisp relief as the sun came up..
We stopped in Berlin at the Aubuchon's and picked up a couple of small flags and arrived at the trailhead by 845..
The Bunnell Notch trail section along the old road badly overgrown with head high weeds and we were quickly damp from the heavy morning dew...Beautiful flowers still in bloom..a few leaves starting to turn..some bright red hobblebush.. Once off the road the improvements to the trail are evident with a good footbed, some nice drainage work and steps in crucial spots.. Very easy going with only some minor mud to the Mount Cabot jct..
Several peak a boo views along the next steeper section and we tarried a moment on Bunnell rock which is an excellent outlook.
The climb from there never steep but always a little longer than i remember we weren't chatting as much now..I know my thoughts were occupied with the events of the past several years..I had just watched Flight 93the other night.that also stirred some memories..How lucky we are to be able to pick whatever day to hike..go where we want to go..we can sure be at Peace in the mountains..it is a shame it doesn't work that way for the rest of the world...

The cabin came into view and we ditched our bags there for the quick walk over to the actual summit..I love that section of trail with the mossy old trees and the well worn trail winding around..we carried at that point only a camera, a small flag, and our thoughts... and for a moment today, 9/11/08, a small flag flew on Mt cabot and we remembered..Never to Forget....

a few photos at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/silverfox777/sets/721576072336477561

Last edited: