Cranberry Lake 50

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome - thanks for the link.

I've had this area in mind for several years after seeing a post on the site here (if you search you might find something).

Also - I own the ADK Northern Guide. If you want me to look up anything for you let me know.

looking like next yr. memorial weekend. If we set aside 4 days,friday, the weekend, and the monday. I'm sure we can finish at a relaxing pace.. Hows that sound? I have found a thread on that other adk forum.

Viewseeker said:
Just reaching out to fellow VFTTers'.. Anyone ever done this loop? Ya its fifty miles but what time is really needed? 3 days for comfort? 4?www. cranberrylake50.org

--I completed the loop in Augsust. I think 3 days would be comfortable. Viewseeker's Memorial Day weekend suggestion sounds more enjoyable. Though maybe they're basically the same plan. Three full days of hiking could work out to the same as 2 full days plus 2 partial days.
--The terrain is pretty gentle, so you can allow for more mileage per day than in the mountains. There's an article in the most recent Adirondac magazine (the ADK club's magazine) about the CL50. It correctly though misleadingly states the total climb on the loop as 400'. That sounds like the difference between the lowest and highest points. But there are lots of ups and downs which may add up to about 3500' of vertical gain. But spread out over 50 miles, that's nothing to a mountaineer. :)

Viewseeker said:
ya Im just getting into it. Plan for next year by the looks but would be a great time by the looks. Can I buy that adk northern guide same places the high peaks book is?

Keep in mind that this loop is made possible by the NEW South Bay trail which links the previously unconnected trails on the south side of Cranberry L. The South Bay Trail is new this spring, so it won't appear an any guide books yet. Also, the Otterbrook Trail, which runs 5 or 6 miles from south of Dog Pond west to the South Bay Trail, doesn't appear on some maps. Both of these trails are marked, but you need to keep your eyes open at times when they are overgrown or make turns.

Viewseeker said:
looking like next yr. memorial weekend. If we set aside 4 days,friday, the weekend, and the monday. I'm sure we can finish at a relaxing pace.. Hows that sound? I have found a thread on that other adk forum.

Sounds good to me!

Are there any lean-to's in this area or should we bring a tent?

1ADAM12 said:
Are there any lean-to's in this area or should we bring a tent?

Somewhere I read that there are 6 lean-tos along the route, but couldn't picture that many. Looking at a list of l/t's, I think I know which ones they mean, though I came up with 7.
--Starting from the north end, going clockwise:
--1. Bear Mountain. This l/t is either on the trail, or on a spur, depending on your route choice. Although the map on the CL50 site doesn't indicate it, I think it's permissible to hike down the road to the state campground, then take part of the Bear Mtn. trail, then another trail to link up with the Burntbridge Pond Trail. Contact the 5 Ponds Partners via the site to confirm this. The Bear Mtn. l/t is 0.6 miles from the trailhead in the campground. It's not too far a hike from Cranberry Lake Village, so if you're starting your first day in the afternoon, it might be at a convenient distance. It also puts you closer to Bear Mtn. than the route shown, and there's a nice vista to the W and S, giving you an overview of much of the route ahead of you. But I digress, this is supposed to be about l/t's. :) About this l/t: Being so close to a major DEC campground, it probably sees a lot of use.
--2. A long way beyond Bear Mtn. is the Olmstead Pond l/t. It's right along the trail.
--3. Not much beyond the OP l/t, maybe 2-3 miles, is the Cowhorn Pond l/t. A beautiful spot, about .3 mile off the trail.
--4. Jenack's Landing l/t. This is off the loop by a little over a mile. In the trail description page of the CL50 site, read the last half of the Cowhorn Jct. Trial description. Note that this takes you toward Wanakena, but it's not part of the official loop, and will bring your mileage way below 50. Also note that this l/t is just a few hundred feet from the lake, so there's a good chance that it may be taken by boaters.
--5 & 6. High Falls has 2 l/t's. A .5 mile spur, but worth the visit to see the falls and take a dip. One is on the other side of the Oswegatchie, and there's no really easy crossing. Note that HF is a very popular destination for hikers and canoeists.
--7. Peavine Swamp l/t. About a mile after starting on the PS Trail, there's a jct. Go right for about .5 mile IIRC, and there's a l/t pretty close to the lake. Being close to the lake and not far from Wanakena, it may see a lot of use.

Note that this whole region has lots of marshes, ponds, and streams, so it's very popular with bugs. By Memorial Day the black flies are usually well established. From mid-June through early August the deer flies rule. So yes, there are lean tos, but they may be taken, and unless you wait til dusk to make camp, the bugs will catch up to you. Don't forget the mosquitoes at night :)

Last edited:
Viewseeker said:
Can I buy that adk northern guide same places the high peaks book is?
Yep. It's part of the ADK Guide Series. I'll have to yank it out and look at what it says - it's been a while. I'll also see if I can find the old post that was on here... there were some nice pictures.

thanks, this sure does need more investagating as it is so new..I have been to high falls as a youngster, having had hiked back into there from rt.3 crossing a beaver back up, many yrs. back.....many!!! :D ::: 1adam12 you still in for that weekend as I was reminded from adrobdack46r its also the 46r dinner weekend if you plan to go???

Viewseeker said:
thanks, this sure does need more investagating as it is so new..I have been to high falls as a youngster, having had hiked back into there from rt.3 crossing a beaver back up, many yrs. back.....many!!! :D ::: 1adam12 you still in for that weekend as I was reminded from adrobdack46r its also the 46r dinner weekend if you plan to go???

I probably will not go to the meeting next spring. Not until Seth finishes his 46 which will be in about a year.