National Geographic - Tuesday

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maria

Reaction score
National Geographic - Monday

Note - this is on Monday - typed too fast this morning. Editing doesn't let me change what shows up in the main thread.

Hi - I know this isn't a hiking documentary (or the kayak forum), but I thought there might be some folks interested in the below and wanted to give a head's up.

"In January of 2007, Andrew McAuley attempted to navigate a one-man kayak 1,000 miles across the Tasman Sea, from Australia to New Zealand. Leaving his wife, Vicki, and young son behind in Australia, McAuley, 39, recorded his trip on an onboard video camera, recounting long days of paddling and long nights tossed by enormous waves. National Geographic's "Solo: Lost at Sea" (10 p.m. EDT, Monday, Sept. 15) provides a harrowing and detailed picture of McAuley's trip with a mix of footage from the kayak and first-person interviews with his family and friends. After spotting two great white sharks, hunkering down for a massive storm with 10-meter waves, and struggling with his emotions over having left his family behind, McAuley finally vows never again to take such an enormous risk. If you're the kind of person who read "Into Thin Air" in one sitting, you'll want to catch this fascinating look at McAuley's long journey."

Last edited:
Hey, cool, except I don't get the NatGeo channel anymore...

Spoilers below

A pretty sad story considering (from memory) was only about 1 short day's trip from making it where mysteriously he lost contact with everybody and did not make it. I don't recall if they ever found a cause of his death but he practically had it "in the bag" when he disappeared