Webster Cliff and Jackson by Dry River, Mt. Clinton, Webster Cliff Trails

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyF

Reaction score
The other Webster Jackson loop (14.1 mi, 4419 ft). Dry River Trailhead to Saco River Trail to Webster Cliff Trail to Mt. Webster to Mt. Jackson, to Mitzpah Hut to Mt. Clinton Trail to Dry River Trail back to Dry River Trailhead.

Date of Hike: 9-13-2008

Trail Conditions:
Saco River Trail - rocky and narrow. Would be very difficult to follow with a blanket of snow. Occasional blazes.
Webster Cliff Trail- in good shape. Fairly dry up to Mt. Webster, but wetter after that towards Jackson.
Mt. Clinton Trail - as described in WMG, lightly used. I think I broke a months worth of spider webs. There are a lot more water crossings than guide or map implies (8-10?). All were rock hoppable at this water level. Attention is required to follow the trail, no blazes to be found. Lots of mud. A couple over the boot deep, some ankle deep. Lots of water and slippery rocks too. At one point, uphill of the final crossing, a fork in the herd path goes to the river. Fork can be missed, and was, making me think I had to cross the river. Couldn't find the trail on the opposite side and crossed back to find the missed fork. Crossing of Dry River was rock hoppable, though last hop required longer legs. Path goes diagnally across river (look for cairns) marking path across river.
Dry River Trail - Suspension bridge is still closed. Easy rock hop to island just upstream of bridge, then wade knee deep for 20-30 feet. Saco River gauge at 3.1 ft and 484 ft/s. See USGS real time data for comparison

Special Equipment Required: Ziplock bag for valuables and water shoes or sandals for crossing Dry River at bridge.

Comments: photos here

Your name: AndyF

Your E-mail address: andyf0722 [at] comcast [dot] net