Coolest 4K Peak Name in Northeast

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P U D?

Borrowed this list of possibilities from a Web site; none seem appropriate here:

PUD Public Utility District
PUD Paid-Up Dependent (insurance)
PUD Paired Uranium Detectors
PUD Parent Unit Designator
PUD Partido de Unificación Democrática (Spanish: Democratic Unification Party)
PUD Pay Upon Death
PUD Peeled Undeveined (shrimp)
PUD Penis Uncircumcising Device
PUD Peptic Ulcer Disease
PUD Pizza Underground Digest
PUD Planned Unit Development
PUD Planned Use Development (real estate/land development )
PUD Pop-Up Detector
PUD Post-Urinary Drip
PUD Proved Undeveloped (hydrocarbon reserves)
PUD Pulmonary Disease
PUD Personal User Id
PUD Power Using Device

Yup, Pointless up and Down.

Mark S, I think it was St Anne's and it is a listed peak.

I think I mumbled something along the lines of "a cruel twist of the devil" when I saw it!

Thanks for the ID. Guess I'm working on the Cat100 now?? :eek:

Mark Schaefer said:
And on Jay's first first charity hike for the BTS, a Devil's Path traverse, the peak was also dubbed P1ss Me Off Mountain by Snowshoe of VFTT.

Mark, you have a good memory! Just a minor correction, tho. It was dubbed PMOP ......... Piss Me Off Peak. I think that has a better ring to it! :p :D

How can you deny

Agiocochook - the great mountain spirit? or Katahdin? - the greatest mountain.

Gotta love the native American names. Why re-name something that already has a great name? (My guess would be pure narcissism/vanity.)

Maybe not Katahdin, but how about Pamola?

I originally thought Katahdin was the best (the greatest mountain), but then got thinking about one of its peaks and thought Pamola, one of its peaks (elevation 4,902 feet), might be even better:

Pamola (also known as Pamolai, P-mol-a, Pomola, and Bmola) is a legendary bird spirit that appears in Abenaki mythology. This spirit causes cold weather.

Specifically, according to the Penobscot Indians, Pamola inhabited Mt. Katahdin, the tallest mountain in Maine. Pamola is said to be the god of Thunder and protector of the mountain. The Indians described him as having the head of a moose, the body of a man and the wings and feet of an eagle. Pamola was both feared and respected by the Indians, and his presence was one of the main reasons that climbing the mountain was considered taboo.

The spirit resented mortals intruding from down below. Because of this, the mountain was off limits to all below. It is also thought that it took its prisoners to Alomkik, located near Katahdin.

Pamola's name is now preserved on Pamola Peak, a summit on Katahdin at the eastern edge of the Knife Edge ridge. The Pamola Lodge of the Order of the Arrow is an honor camping society of the Boy Scouts of America; Pamola's image is commonly used on several of the society's insignia.

So I am changing my vote to Pamola!

Marty

Thanks for the story Marty! I'm with Gris on the native American Names - not much creativity to the naming of the pressies, and why bring the politicians into it anyway?

The ADKs have by far the best names.

Not a 4K but I've always liked the name "Peak Above the Nubble" I've never climbed it, perhaps one day....

Gris said:
Gotta love the native American names. Why re-name something that already has a great name? (My guess would be pure narcissism/vanity.)
If they kept native names on features, non-native explorers couldn't claim to have discovered the "newly found" features...

A few features are reputed not to have had native names. K2, for instance.

Doug

K2? I thought that meant " 'There aint no way I'm climbing that thing' Mountain " in the native language?
They have a very simplistic language. ;)

On the AT in Virginia= High Cock Knob

Seriously, its South of the James River. I think Thomas Jefferson named it after going out for a carriage ride with Sally Hemings. :D

MarkJ said:
An obscure bushwack off 202 in Barrington NH which I will never attempt..........Bumfagging Hill (elv 600)
I saw that one on the map but I stay the hell away from there!

I have to agree with Marty on this one.

VT may not have a Mt. Misery, but we do have a Horrid Hill.

And for suggestive names, we have a Shagback Mtn.
How about Grannyhand Hill. I don't even want to think about that one...

Bondcliff.

Osceola is another favorite.