Coolest 4K Peak Name in Northeast

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr_wu002

Reaction score
I put this in the New England forum even though I think the entire Northeast should be considered.

In my opinion, the coolest name for a 4K is Gothics. It's not just named after a person (Washington), a descriptor (Pyramid, Pleasant Dome) or a slightly vague association (Owl's Head). It's slightly clever... makes me think of some huge Gothic cathedral, and it's definitely as cool as one.

I wish there were more "Burning Fire Hell"s and less "Carter Dome"s, in terms of names, but that's just my opinion.

-Dr. Wu

I also like names like, The Captain (3K) and as soon as I heard of it I wanted to go to it. I'm not much for lists but I'm a sucker for a good name. I wish there was a Mt. Mastodon and a Mt. Thunder Lizard and a Mt. Doom and a Mt. Lightning Bolt in the Northeast but so far there isn't.

-Dr. Wu

The Big K

Katahdin - An Abenaki Indian word, Ktaadn or Katahdu, meaning, according to different authorities, "highest land," "big mountain," "greatest or chief mountain."

What could be better?

If I stick to 4Ks, per the Title, since I'm not very familiar with the ADKs, that leaves the NE67, which doesn't contain many grabbers, I admit. If you're a fan of Middle Earth, you might favor "Moriah," but that's not how Tolkien spelled it. I guess I'd vote for Old Speck, only because it sounds like what the first settlers called it, vs. something later conferred by dignitaries.

Throw it open to all summits, and I'd want to look at some lists. Off-hand, I'd nominate Black Snout (2nd summit of the Ossippees in NH), because that's just what it looks like, from N and NW.

I would probably agree it is Nippletop. But I have always liked Gothics, Skylight, and the Wolf Jaws (each double fanged). Couchsachraga would be in the running if only ….

The Catskills have some great names for little mountains:
3K: Peekamoose, Barkaboom, Cradle Rock Ridge, Old Clump
2K: Mombaccus, Monka Hill, Big Rosy Bone Knob (kind of like being named Billie Joe Jim Bob)
1K: The Dunker

kook-sa-crag-a , someone once told me, quoting Grace Hudawalski.

Coolest name-(Seymour)

Climb to the top so you can see more.

Last edited:
For ADK 4K-er names I always liked the Wolf Jaws and Couchsachraga.

I like Dial because it's such an unexpected name. It got soap named after it though.

Subpeaks which are 4K, unofficial names

In the "best pun" category, and if we don't insist on the peak being on a list. Two unofficial names of Adk 4K subpeaks:
Pough (of Hough and Pough / Huff and Puff)
Rong (of Wright and Rong, dubbed in 2003 by randomscooter of AdkHighPeaks.com. Although I would prefer it spelled Wrong. On second thought perhaps Rong is part of the pun, so I concede.)

Last edited:
Some interesting names in the 40 6K peaks list in the southern Appalachias:

Tricorner Knob (lots of of Knob names)
Grassy Cove Top
Chestnut Bald
Winter Star Mtn
Potato Hill

and my favorite.....Big Cataloochee

JohnL

I've always liked Poke-O-Moonshine, which like many other names, is a messed up white man's transliteration of the Algonquin name, Pohqui Moosie, meaning "Broken and Smooth" - much shorter than 4K though.

Gothics is an imposing name though...true enough.