Coolest 4K Peak Name in Northeast

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Neil said:
For ADK 4K-er names I always liked the Wolf Jaws and Couchsachraga.

I like Dial because it's such an unexpected name. It got soap named after it though.

I agree with Couchsachraga, and its meaning ("dismal wilderness). Also always liked Gothics.

poison ivy said:
Not a 4K... but I think The Fool Killer is the best mountain name in the Whites. :)

- Ivy
Imagine Giggy was allowed to rename mountains? We'd have "Rotted Body Landslide" and "Not-Worth-Shite-Hill."

-Dr. Wu

Mark Schaefer said:
I would probably agree it is Nippletop. But I have always liked Gothics, Skylight, and the Wolf Jaws (each double fanged). Couchsachraga would be in the running if only ….

Let me try to finish that last one. "if only it weren't such a dismal wilderness"? :)

Catskill 3K names I've enjoyed:
Thomas Cole (not many peaks with both first and last name of a person)
Peekamoose
Friday
Pisgah
Utsayantha
Ashokan High Point

Some Catskill towns, rivers, lakes, cities, roads etc. have even more unusual names, but that's the subject of another thread...

WinterWarlock said:
I've always liked Poke-O-Moonshine, which like many other names, is a messed up white man's transliteration of the Algonquin name, Pohqui Moosie, meaning "Broken and Smooth" - much shorter than 4K though.

Gothics is an imposing name though...true enough.

I'm with you on these two. Gothics is just cool - I can't help but picture the Batman symbol whenever I see it.

Poke is a fun hike with great views and a very cool name.

Prino - very clever reference to a peak that should be near Camels Hump. I'm still laughing.

Not anywhere close to being a 4K, but here in eastern CT we have a Mt Misery.
At it's base, Mt Misery Brook flows out of Hell Hollow Pond
:eek:

dudley said:
. . .here in eastern CT we have a Mt Misery.

CT is not alone. Witness:

Mt. Misery, RI (528 ft., near Scituate Reservoir, not far from West Warwick)

Misery Mt., Mass. (2,602 ft., in the Taconics), and that's not to mention Mt. Misery in Lincoln (280 feet - a wooded pimple)

Mt. Misery, NH (650 ft., near Massabessic Lake in Auburn)

Misery Knob, ME (2,054 ft., near Moosehead Lake), as well as Mt. Misery in E. Hiram (a little over 1,500 ft.) and a bunch of other "Miseries." Down Easters have it tough, it seems.

I don't know how to account for the giddiness of those Vermonters - just happy all the time. :)

Last edited:
And of course the adks have Calamity Mountain, and the associated Calamity Brook. (Along with the monument to David Henderson, who was killed in the "calamity," when his rifle accidentally discharged when he set it down.)

poison ivy said:
Not a 4K... but I think The Fool Killer is the best mountain name in the Whites. :)

Sniff! I thought we were friends. ;)

Favorite NE4K name - Camels Hump.

Some favorite lower elevation names (besides The Fool Killer) - Firescrew, Surprise, The Bulge and Pico Peak.

My vote

Not much as far as 4k's go, but I always liked the name Galehead. It conjures images of fierce windblown mountaintops, though it was named for its proximity to Gale River, which is named for Susannah Gale, daughter of an early Twin Mountain resident who's farm was known as Gale Springs.

KDT

I agree, Gothics is a kewl name...the whole Great Range IMHO has austere sounding names...Sawteeth, the Wolf Jaws -- just to name a few.

I also like the sound of Peekamoose mntn in the Catskills. Being the first real "big" mountain I ever climbed, its got a special place in my heart --- and when I first hiked it, I picked it because of its name. :)

McRat said:
Favorite NE4K name - Camels Hump.

Das Hoomp!!!!
<inside joke :p >