Coolest 4K Peak Name in Northeast

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While we're on names that make you think, how about Short Job, near John's Brook?

I also like Gothics a lot. My two cats are named Armstrong and Gothics.

There are a few 'Tumble' variations around, like Tumbledick and Tumbledown Dick. I wish I knew the origin of the expression. Again, not a 4K.

Well if Denali is such a universally used unofficial name, then why not include Agiochook. Speaking of unofficial, a present day native friend who lived beneath Mt.Whiteface in Sandwich for years, named it Wahganooka.
Ofcourse I could mention the old name for Roger's Ledge, but that wouldn't be anyone's favorite, unless someone of that color would get a kick out of it, and then the rest of us could laugh along.

Barbarossa said:
There are a few 'Tumble' variations around, like Tumbledick and Tumbledown Dick. I wish I knew the origin of the expression. Again, not a 4K.

I don't know where these are, but I'm not sure I want to climb them! :)

I've always liked the name "Devil's Hopyard", but regrettably it's not a peak.

Barbarossa said:

Are there landslides on these peaks? One of the carriage roads in Acadia above Jordan Pond goes through a landslide area called "the tumbledown" It could have been at one time a common term for landslides or rockslides.

JohnL

Waumbek said:
They used to be called "The Three Graces." That was back when they put skirts on pianos and tables so the bare legs didn't show.
The Cannon Balls name made me blush the first time I heard it!

-Dr. Wu

An obscure bushwack off 202 in Barrington NH which I will never attempt..........Bumfagging Hill (elv 600)

MarkJ said:
An obscure bushwack off 202 in Barrington NH which I will never attempt..........Bumfagging Hill (elv 600)

Really? That one reminds me of the yacht race in Nantucket - the Figawi...as in "Where the Figawi?" :D

A name that wouldn't work.

Everyone knows the name of Mt. Marcy and most probably know Little Marcy which rises 100 feet from the col and is 4700 feet high. It lies 0.8 miles along a bearing of 51 degrees from Marcy.

Often, when distinguishing between the two peaks hikers will refer to them as Big Marcy and Little Marcy.

I sincerely doubt that a similar naming scheme would have caught on in the Dix Range.

Barbarossa said:
There are a few 'Tumble' variations around, like Tumbledick and Tumbledown Dick. I wish I knew the origin of the expression.

I actually stumbled on an explanation just a few weeks ago, doing a little research on possible hikes in Maine. I don't remember what more detailed description I read, but here is short explanation from the Dictionary of Phrase and Fable:

Tumbledown Dick
Anything that will not stand firmly. Dick is Richard, the Protector's son, who was but a tottering wall at best.

The "Protector" was Oliver Cromwell, and when he died, his son Richard inherited leadership of the Roundhead cause. He was considered a good and pious man, but lacked his dad's vim and vigor.

Last edited:
At some point, I am going to bushwhack to here just to say that I've been there:
Top of the World

It's right over by Squam Lake!

Maybe if Marchowes is lurking...what is the name of that friggin' PUD that just happened to be a 3k right at the end of the Devil's Path Traverse....holy cow..that was an unwelcome climb!

una_dogger said:
Maybe if Marchowes is lurking...what is the name of that friggin' PUD that just happened to be a 3k right at the end of the Devil's Path Traverse....holy cow..that was an unwelcome climb!
Well a different Mark here. It is St. Anne's Peak. At 3420' elevation with a 200' rise from West Kill, it ranks #43 on the Catskill HH list. Father Ray L. Donahue (#23, #1W in the Catskill 3500 Club) named the mountain.

Other names are the derivative West West Kill (named by the Department of Redundancy Department). And on Jay's first first charity hike for the BTS, a Devil's Path traverse, the peak was also dubbed P1ss Me Off Mountain by Snowshoe of VFTT. So you were not the first to consider it a PUD at the end of the long traverse.

It is actually a very nice mountain with good raspberry patches. Also bear sightings are fairly common in Mink Hollow, the col with North Dome. Hiked just with West Kill it isn't too bad to take.