Coolest 4K Peak Name in Northeast

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Katahdin, definitely and absolutely. It's not just a name, but a calling. You can't say that about many other peaks in the Northeast... and the name sounds cool! Zealand is my second favorite.

Isolation!

Love the sound of it. I also agree that "Wolf Jaws" and "The Fool Killer" are tremendous names.

When I was a kid growing up in Jefferson there were some old timers that knew the names of the other Presi's, besides Agiochook, according to the Native Americans. I never thought much of it until my uncle confirmed it. Then I found an article in an old Coos County Democrat confirming an account from days of old. There were still some full and half blooded Native Americans in the area even in the days of the old Common School in Jefferson Hills, some even settled on what was called Indian Hill. Anyway, apparently there was the aforementioned Agiochook, then Amonoosuk (Clay), Mooshillock (Jefferson, though it has familiarities with Moosilaukee), Contoocook (Adams), and Pentucket (Madison).
Native American names have such depth, I also like Moosilaukee and Waumbek. They are some of the best.
Old township maps of Jefferson also show that Cherry Mt was originally called Pondicherry, just like the Preserve. that's pretty cool too.
I think I will give this more thought over a nice cast iron pot of Fricot tonight.