Old trail from North Twin trail???

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

summit1

Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about an old trail that runs from the North Twin Trail before the third river crossing. We saw old blue blazes on some of the trees. We followed it for some ways and it appeared to go in the direction of Mt Hale. Any info on this would be helpful.

I rememebr reading in "Forest and Crag" about the Fire Warden Trail (?) it could be that. I am sure Dave M. will have an answer.

Seems like the old Firewarden's Trail to Mt Hale. It is unofficially maintained by a group of skiers. In addition to providing an alternative approach to Mt Hale it makes a very interesting loop (Twins, Guyot, Zealand, Hale and back to car) possible with one car.

If you do not know where to look the top of the trail is difficult to find. That is intentional, to avoid hikers going down it by mistake.

I have never hiked it but, on a hike with Mohammed he tried to show me the top of the trail and fell into a spruce trap up to his arm pits this past winter. I don't think I saw where the trail actually was but I found Mohammed, just to the right of the summit cairn facing north if you come up hale brook trail.

Darwin said:
... on a hike with Mohammed he tried to show me the top of the trail and fell into a spruce trap up to his arm pits this past winter.
I seem to recall falling far deeper than that :) Darwin broke trail to where I was, took my pack, and I slowly backed out.

Stinkyfeet said:
The Firewardens' Trail up Hale begins before the FIRST water crossing on the N. Twin Trail, & it's not blazed in blue.
Stinkyfeet is almost right, the old Firewarden's trail begins south of the first crossing (after it going uphill). It starts off the "bushwhack" (really herd path) that bypasses the two northmost stream crossings, not the main trail.

Last edited: