Breadloaf wilderness--overnight winter access

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yardsale

Reaction score
We would like to do some overnight camping/hiking in the Breadloaf area in Vt. just east of Middlebury. Can anyone tell us about trail heads such as the plowed end of the Lincoln Gap road, Middlebury Gap, or Rec. road 55 traveling west off 100? Is overnight winter parking pemitted at these trailheads? Any other suggestions for overnight winter access to the area?

Also, possibly, Jay pass.

Thanks for your beta.

Well, for starters, you might check out the Catamount Trail Guidebook. Parking is allowed on Natural Turnpike and at the end of South Lincoln Road. And there is parking allowed on both ends of the plowed sections of Lincoln Gap.

I've never seen any of the forest roads plowed in winter in the Breadloaf area, and doubt they will be unless they're logging. As for Lincoln Gap - there's a barricade placed just a bit beyond the last house (before the truly steep road begins). The barricade won't prevent you from driving around it, but if you do you're really on your own. Hard to overstate the steepness of that road. People often do trek up the road to the top of Lincoln Gap, but it's almost always from the other side.

As for Jay - there are a couple of pull-outs in the area on either side of the road, not too far from where the LT crosses it. Have used both at one time or another for day hikes. As for overnights in winter - you might call the VT AOT garage in the Troy area and ask them if it's OK. My hunch is that it is, particularly if they know the vehicle isn't abandoned.

As I recall, there's a 3-sided leanto on the northboard side of the LT not too far from the highway. Might be on a short spur trail.

PS - Just saw Peak's post. You might also call the GMC in Waterbury. As I recall, Ben Rose, the director of the GMC, helped lay out the Catamount Trail not too long before he took the position at the GMC.

Last edited:
Kevin Rooney said:
As I recall, there's a 3-sided leanto on the northboard side of the LT not too far from the highway. Might be on a short spur trail.

Atlas Valley Shetler is right on the LT only a few hundred yards in from Jay Pass. Overnight use is prohibited according to the LT guidebook. Jay Camp is on a blue-blazed spur to the left not much further in.

MichaelJ said:
Atlas Valley Shetler is right on the LT only a few hundred yards in from Jay Pass. Overnight use is prohibited according to the LT guidebook. Jay Camp is on a blue-blazed spur to the left not much further in.
Hmm ... so this means you can only stay there if you promise to stay multiple days? And how would the trail police determine that you were NOT staying there with the intent of hiking the LT, which is something that Lawnsale is planning to do if I understand him correctly? Curious people would like to know .... ;)

I have no idea. I only know that the book says they prohibit overnight use of Atlas Valley Shelter. My guess is that given its proximity to the road, they're trying to keep it from being overused or becoming a party spot, and so direct end-enders or other backpackers to Jay Camp.

As for "trail police," it would be trivial for any law enforcement driving by the road to take a glance there at night. It's that close to the road.

My issue is the feasibility of leaving the car at the Jay Pass turnout. We would probably put in a primitive camp somewhere in the state forest cosistent with primitiive camping regulations, not either of the established camps you folks are discussing.

Since it seemed that people were leaving cars there overnight in summer, that means the big question is winter, and I'd say it depends on if the lot is plowed or not.

The usual "rule" for winter parking at roadside trailheads in most places is to make absolutely sure you're in the lot, not impinging on the road or on the shoulder of the road before/after the lot, and bring a shovel because if it snows while you're in the woods, you will get plowed in.

I've never known of someone being towed for it, just having to dig their car out. Give a call to the town of Jay if you want to really be sure.

I have friends that live off FR 55, just west of Rt 100 in Granville, VT. The residential road is plowed for a good bit, but there is room to park overnight down near Rt 100 and walk up to the fire road. This road will be broken out because of the snowmobilers that use it in the winter. I think the Clark Brook trail and access to the Breadloaf Wilderness is about 1.5 miles down that road but it doesn't get a lot of use in winter. Beautiful woods for bushwhacking and backcountry skiing and camping in there!

yardsale said:
Can anyone tell us about trail heads such as the plowed end of the Lincoln Gap road, Middlebury Gap, or Rec. road 55 traveling west off 100? Is overnight winter parking pemitted at these trailheads? Any other suggestions for overnight winter access to the area?
Middlebury Gap has a wide plowed shoulder for parking, I don't recall any signs prohibiting overnight parking. The Middlebury Snow Bowl ski area is nearby and you could ask there if you prefer a lot.

The road to The Emily Proctor Tr is plowed as well as a parking area for a few cars.
Please be aware that the Breadloaf area is designated "wilderness" which translates into virtually no blazes and decreased trail maintenance. Hiking there in winter with any snow cover that obscures the treadway is very much like bushwhacking. During my visits there each of the last two winters no trails were broken out.
Have fun!