Updated Trail Bandit Ossipee Mountains Map & Ossipee 10 List Update

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Barbarossa said:
There still is a snowmobile trail up Mt. Tom. It ends at about 3200'.

I found the trail before I found the map.
Yup, the problem is with people who haven't been there who insist the map proves there was a trail all the way to the summit

Amicus said:
Logic, the AMC, the LRCT (in their writings, at least) and Scudder's View Guide, in addition to several Ossipee fanatics I know, consider the high-point, with its trail, to deserve the name.
I have created a new note to separate the Faraway discussion from general discussion of the Ossipee Range, so perhaps you will answer there.

Obviously I disagree with the fanatics and their logic or lack of it :)

I will attempt to find out why the AMC placed Faraway there but still haven't found out why they were wrong on Davis & Lethe so may never gat an answer.

Last I knew nobody had got an answer from LRCT although Iris Baird will look into it.

I haven't seen Scudder's book but will talk to him about it.

I hiked the Larcoms yesterday to once again complete the elusive Ossipee 10 list :) . They are interesting peaks with nice views and opportunities for exploration. The large bear in the trail that persuaded me to bushwhack a parallel course down was an added bonus, at least in retrospect.
A great addition to the list. Drive in is lovely, as well.
Thanks again, Rocket21

RickB. said:
The large bear in the trail that persuaded me to bushwhack a parallel course down was an added bonus, at least in retrospect.

I had a feeling I wasn't alone out there when I hiked Larcom on Thursday...I found some hidden blueberry patches (obviously out of season at this point) near the summit, so I suspect it's fairly bear friendly out there!

Glad you like the peak - thank you to the Trail Bandit for discovering the trail!

Must have been a bruin kind of week in the Ossipees! I spotted one hunting a beaver on Tuesday, right in the middle of my route out, to the southeast of your sightings. I got upwind of him and he went off in the bushes, but one of the beavers slapped its tail in a way that told me he hadn't left the area . . .

Roaming around at the Castle

First of all, thanks to Rocket 21 and Trail Bandit for all their efforts in trail maintenance and map making. You got us interested in the area, so....

On the way home from an overnight in N Conway, my husband and I decided to hike Mt Roberts. The weather was promising in N Conway, but by the time we got to the Castle in the Clouds, the clouds were hanging low on the Ossipee peaks. We decided to tour the Castle while we waited for the weather to improve. (The weather just got worse, and we ended up roaming the bridal paths and the Oak Ridge Trail. Still, great foliage, and a beautiful setting!)

A couple of things that might be of interest. We got to talking with a docent in the Castle, and she expressed her resentment of the bottling plant. Partly because of the amount of water they were pulling out of the spring there, and partly because of the # of tractor trailer trucks going up and down Ossipee Park Rd. This road is the exit from the Castle grounds, and also where a nice hiker parking lot is located.

On the way out, we had a 10 minute wait for some construction vehicles to clear the road. Ossipee Park Rd is being rebuilt and widened. The flag person indicated the road will be done by the end of the month. She also said they are adding something to the pavement that will make the snow melt easier in the winter, and thus prevent ice from forming. Good news for us hikers and snowshoers who want to access the hiker lot in winter.

All in all, it's a great area. Photos for anyone interested.

http://picasaweb.google.com/gram123456/OssipeesAndTheCastleInTheClouds#

Last edited:
With apolgies to Mr Bill:
A rose by any other name would smell as sweet
Meaning:
What matters is what something is, not what it is called.
Origin:
From Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet, 1594
I respect the focus on the discussion, and efforts to maintain the integrity of the map, and the location of Faraway. Sounds like you are all finding a little slice of heaven, wherever it actually is. Funny that it's location could be the subject of discussion as many of us are always trying to get far away.

Isn't it interesting that the discussion stays so civil when knowlegeable, passionate people form it's basis? I enjoyed this interesting thread tremendously. Thank you!

Last edited:
I found the following not shown on the most recently posted TB map:

43 44.547 71 19.659/43 44.587 19.564 Loop of old Mt Roberts Trail (TB says upper part of trail was rerouted onto ledges for better views) marked by double blazes on present trail but no signs, shown on PT map

43 45.672 71 19.101 Path N from Faraway switchbacks not on PT map, marked
by orange tape at start

43 44.473 71 18.690 Carriage rd down just S of intersection of Mt Faraway/Oak Ridge Cutoff not on PT map, this has real potential for a short route from castle to Shaw but it was too late in the day for me to explore

Note that the TB map shows a switchback near the swamp W of 2782 which really exists but is not shown on USGS or PT map, good catch!!

It would be nice if somebody could post the more complete and more accurate Ossipee Range map made by the guy who made the Belknap Range map (I am not posting his name as in the past he hasn't placed his name on his maps so I assume he prefers to remain anonymous.)
Which Belknap Range map would that be, the one in Stepping Stones Across NH? Or is there another?

(For that matter, if this other Ossipee map is not online, where has it been made available?)

Which Belknap Range map would that be, the one in Stepping Stones Across NH? Or is there another?

(For that matter, if this other Ossipee map is not online, where has it been made available?)

This would be in reference to the Belknap map available at the Gilford Library. It's basically a screenshot of the USGS 7.5 minute topos with trails and many other points of interest overlayed.

I'm not aware of where the 'PT' map has been made available - it was dramatically condensed into the current Castle in the Clouds map (many trails and features were removed). If the creator of that map gives me the okay, I'll gladly post it as well. I believe that person also created a Red Hill map which I have seen.

The Belknap range maps at the libraries and in the book are the same. The original Ossipee map (made by the same person) was shared briefly before the official LRCT version was printed. I was requested not to distribute copies of that map and have honored that request but have shared information gleaned from it.

Rocket, carole, and other 'Ossipee Bandits':

I know I've been talking about exploring the Ossipees for awhile know. However, I think I am going to finally start one day next week (sometime between Sunday and Thanksgiving).

I'm going to do Bald Knob first. I'm wondering what the condition of the trail is like beyond Bald Knob. It looks like it should be relatively easy to extend this hike to Turtleback. North of the top of Bald Knob, I presume I am looking at the Bald Knob Cutoff on the map and it connects with the Shannon Brook?

Also, what is the significance of the different colors used on the map to mark the trails?

Edit: Oh, it looks like it's the Bald Knob Trail all the way north to the Turtleback Mountain Trail? The Bald Knob Cutoff trail heads to the left north of the top of Bald Knob (shown in purple on the map)?

Thanks

Last edited:
I think I did the hike you're suggesting back in May:

http://www.franklinsites.com/hikephotos/NewHampshire/turtlebackmtn-2008-0526.php

The first portion of the hike is old carriage road - some pitch, but nothing too bad.

The steepest part of the hike is the beginning section of trail between the Shannon Brook Trail and the Bald Knob Cutoff.

From Bald Knob to Turtleback, it's gradual old carriage roads all the way.

Bald Knob offers a tremendous lake view, while Turtleback offers a neat view of the western Ossipee Range.

In some instances, the colors on the map correspond with the colors of the blazes of the trails, but I think on the whole the different colors are used to differentiate trail segments. From what I understand, trail names will be added to the map at some point in the future.

I think I did the hike you're suggesting back in May:

Somewhat similar but not quite, I just edited my post.

I was thinking of parking at the Bald Knob Trailhead at the big 'Welcome to Moultonboro' sign and take this trail up to the top of Bald Knob. I wanted to then continue North. Is this still called the Bald Knob Trail? A little ways north after the top, I see there is a purple trail going West. I presume this is called the Bald Knob Cutoff and heads to the Shannon Brook? Continuing North would lead me to the Turtleback Mountain Trail?

I was thinking of parking at the Bald Knob Trailhead at the big 'Welcome to Moultonboro' sign and take this trail up to the top of Bald Knob. I wanted to then continue North. Is this still called the Bald Knob Trail? A little ways north after the top, I see there is a purple trail going West. I presume this is called the Bald Knob Cutoff and heads to the Shannon Brook? Continuing North would lead me to the Turtleback Mountain Trail?

The Bald Knob Trail from Route 171, while relatively short, is quite steep. Unless you're looking for a real workout, I recommend coming up the Shannon Brook Trail instead. Much more scenic, also.

So, by color on the map, red, purple, green, red.

Everything but the purple trail is a carriage road. Keep your eyes out for that trail, by the way, it's uphill from you as you head up the Shannon Brook Trail (facing the wrong way).

Tobit:
Last I knew the beginning of the Bald Knob trail is sparsely blazed (some blue if I recall). It is usually easy enough to follow until you hit the Trust boundary line and then it is blazed in white. From the Bald Knob (with the carriage platform) you continue on the carriage roads following white blazes until you met the Turtleback Mtn. Trail blazed in green. The junction for the link out to the summit of Turtleback is well marked.
If you want to use the Bald Knob cutoff it is blazed in blue/yellow and should have signs at each junction (at Shannon Brook Trail and at Bald Knob Trail). Walking the road between Shannon Brook Trail and Bald Knob Trail is one mile.

Last I knew the beginning of the Bald Knob trail is sparsely blazed (some blue if I recall). It is usually easy enough to follow until you hit the Trust boundary line and then it is blazed in white.

I think Tobit's going to skip that part, but just FYI, it's been nicely reblazed in blue, starting maybe 100 yards above Route 171, all the way to Bald Knob.