Updated Trail Bandit Ossipee Mountains Map & Ossipee 10 List Update

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hiked what I take to be Tobit's proposed route - out and back from the "Welcome to Moultonborough" sign trailhead to Bald Knob and then Turtleback, July 4, solo. I was done pretty early in the afternoon but days are much shorter and conditions tougher now. Still, with an early start, I wouldn't think this too difficult. My pix are here.

I did this hike 3 weeks ago. Up Shannon Brook Tr to Bald Knob Cutoff to Bald Knob Tr to Bald Knob Summit. The back on Bald Knob Tr to Turtleback Mt Tr to Turlteback Summit Tr to Turtleback summit. I returned by taking Turlteback Mtn Tr to Faraway Mtn Tr briefly before taking unamed green trail (and green blazed) to Oak Ridge Summit then connect to Oak Ridge Trail to a couple connectors back to Shannon Brook Trail. Pictures are here.

If you park at Shannon Brook Trailhead there is a kiosk that has a couple other maps on it. I took pictures of these maps at high resolution with my camera, then I was able to reference these maps by viewing the pictures on my camera and zooming in. I had Trail Bandits map also but all three maps had something to offer the other two did not.

If you want about 500 feet less elevation gain you can drive up the road to the bottling plant and park outside the gate and hike from there.

I returned by taking Turlteback Mtn Tr to Faraway Mtn Tr briefly before taking unamed green trail (and green blazed) to Oak Ridge Summit then connect to Oak Ridge Trail to a couple connectors back to Shannon Brook Trail.

The 'green trail' is the newly opened Bridle Path which I reported on here.

One more option, Tobit:
Park at the town line sign (Bald Knob Trailhead) and hike up Bald Knob (it's really not bad as it is steep but short and has nice stopping points/views on the way up), hike the carriage roads/trails, as described, to Turtlehead. Don't miss the columnar jointing exhibited in the rocks on the summit. Then return by the same carriage roads to the Bald Knob Cut-off and hike that down to the Shannon Brook Trail, stopping on the way to see the more exposed jointing on a short side trail to round out your geological excitement. Take a left on the Shannon Brook Trail and follow it to the road. Walk the flat road, less than a mile, back to your car. Main benefit is much more variety to the trip but also almost all the work is over after the first mile. Walking the carriage roads is a breeze.
My son and I did this trip easily last summer. He is not in primo shape and found it a reasonable outing.
Whatever route have fun!