John Person's Footsteps

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhrsebago

Reaction score
Whacker lore includes tales of John Person, who a decade or so ago, reputedly climbed the 200 Highest in NH, ME and VT. Onestep and I never climbed with John, but we have hiked with others who did. Generally we consider these other hikers to be of sound mind, but, seriously, who would be crazy enough to attempt such a list of remote/viewless/trailless little nubbles??

After a trip, Sunday, NW of Rangely, we are happy to report that we discovered summit registers on Unnamed Cupsuptic Pond (SE Pk) and NW Cupsuptic Snow with John's entries from May 1998 and August 1997. On the summits of N Cupsuptic Snow and Cupsuptic Mt, we found danggling string but no attached jars. John was there!

What a terrific day in the woods! Surprising VFTT on several summits, crisp dry conditions, NO biting insects!! Lots of wildlife - moose, deer, red fox, raccoons, Gray jays and Boreal chickadees.

John, we salute you!

neat; as a solitary, "non-connected" hiker with little knowledge of those who may have gone before on ME hikes, i knew nothing re John

--on Saturday, I climbed Old Turk near Byron, ME and found a jar hung by John in 2000 with NO more entries--it was a small mayo jar, on a string, rusted shut, but totally dry inside-plastic crumbled to dust, paper was fine

jim

mhrsebago said:
Whacker lore includes tales of John Person, who a decade or so ago, reputedly climbed the 200 Highest in NH, ME and VT.
I know he was within a few dozen of the New England 1000 highest when back problems arose, but did bag a few this year.

His list is roughly 2400'+ and uses slightly different rules from Gene Daniell's, for instance he will count liners with the summit in PQ if there is enough col on the US side

And I found a few of his bottles in VT this year