Katahdin Guide Book

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel Eagan

Reaction score
Any opinions on Katahdin: A Guide to Baxter State Park and Katahdin by Stephen Clark (Clark Books, 2003; Fifth Edition)? I've seen it on the web but not in book stores.

IMO the classic short reference on BSP history and trails. Trail descriptions are different from those in the AMC MMG, but what sets this book apart are the nice map and chapters on history, camping, &c. I have an earlier edition, but I'm sure it's just getting better with age.

FWIW, the AMC Maine Mountain Guide has quite a few discrepencies in it. Or at least, that was our experience this weekend in Baxter. Three days of hiking and the mileages were off from what the signs read at each trail sign. Incidentally, there are also conflicting mileages listed on back to back pages in the book. The book is great for planning, but your best bet for mileages will be the trail signs.

I own a previous version of the Clark book from probably 10+ years ago and it's served me well. It's the best guide to the park and trails that I'm aware of.

I have an older edition and wouldn't plan without it. As with any guide, be careful of bargains, they may be closeouts ... though only a few trails have changed in the park, the latest edition is nice to have as long as you're buying. No reason not to read the AMC guide, too. In fact, when I go up there I also check the latest reports on VFTT Trail Conditions.

As for maps, maybe they've improved with newer editions of Clarks but the latest AMC map and the Delorme Baxter Park map I think are both better.

Half my fun in the planning and dreaming stage is poring over the guides and maps.

I have three editions of the guidebook. My first one is held together with an elastic.
The trails on Katahdin and other mountains in the park don't change a lot, but for planning a trip into the backcountry, it's nice to have the latest map. Sometimes I mark trail and site changes on the map for a while, but eventually get a new one. I usually check the map and book to see how updated it is before I buy it.

I've always used the Clark book as my BSP guide. Never thought of using my AMC Maine mountain guide.

Does anyone know where I can get one?
Is the park the only source or would someone like the Mountain Wanderer have them in stock.

I need this guide.
Thanks!

I always get mine from the park, but I think Barnes and Noble has had them.

Got mine at the LLBean factory store in Freeport; think I also saw them in Reading MA REI.

just a warning....I got the guide book at the LLB factory story once, and it was missing the last 10 or so pages...

I got a copy of the Clark book in the main store at LL Bean three years ago with a map. At that time Amazon was showing it as out of print--maybe a call up to Freeport...