Whitefield Inn, NH

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NumNum

Reaction score
Can anyone offer information on easy hikes that are in the immediate area. Something thats 4-6hrs round trip with views? I will be in the area for a week, so if I get a chance to break away Id like to.

Thanks,

NumNum :cool:

Not sure of your NH resume and pace, but Mt Jefferson via Caps ridge is a great bang for the buck. Washington, Madison and Adams are all pushing (or exceeding )your 6 hour limit. Monroe from the Ammonosuc Ravine trail has some great views plus you get to check out Lakes of the Clouds.

Cherry mountain, including Martha's Mile has some great views. (probably on the low end for time)

Waumbek and Starr King is a great late fall hike, the views really arent that great until the leaves fall, but its a super well graded trail.

Jackson and Webster cliffs is a great day and its a loop to boot.

Waumbek said:
Not to be missed: Percy Peaks. Do a search on this site and you'll find all the rave reviews and details.
Concerning the Percys, the trailhead is on the Nash Stream Road. Don’t have any first-hand info about this, but have heard this road was being closed beginning this week for repairs.

Perhaps a VFTT person who can confirm whether this is true?
(Couldn't find any info about this when doing a quick Internet search.)

I'll second Cherry Mtn. Awesome close-up views of the northern Presis from the summit. If you approach from the Rt 115 trailhead, make sure you have goretex boots. The first 200 yards of the trail are usually very wet although that may not be as much of a problem in October.

And if you could spot a car on Bear Notch Rd, this would make a nice traverse over Martha's Mile.

bob

dentonfabrics said:
And if you could spot a car on Bear Notch Rd, this would make a nice traverse over Martha's Mile.
Uhh . . . did you really mean to spot a car on Bear Notch Road for a hike on Cherry Mountain?? :confused:

Maybe you meant to suggest spotting a car at the Route 115 trailhead for the Cherry Mountain trail that’s located opposite Lennon Road?

Regardless, I do agree that it makes for an excellent hike to have a car-spot at either of the two Route 115 trailheads, i.e. the Owl’s Head Trail, or the Cherry Mountain Trail (the one opposite Lennon Rd.)

Trails

Cherry Mountain Trail also connects from the east on Cherry Mountain Road, I think this is probably what he meant.

There is also a trail to the Percys from the village of Percy, just off Rte.110 in Stark, if there are concerns about Nash Stream Road. Take Old Summer Club Trail from Christine Lake.

Mount Cabot, The Bulge and The Horn should be included on this list. From the west Mill Brook Road in Stark to Unknown Pond Trail, then south along the Kilkenney Ridge Trail. A loop over the 3 peaks can be made from the east off of York Pond Road by taking Unknown Pond Trail/Kilkenney Ridge Trail/Bunnell Notch Trail.

KDT

Kevin said:
Cherry Mountain Trail also connects from the east on Cherry Mountain Road, I think this is probably what he meant.
Thought about that, but then discarded it since I couldn’t come up with a good reason to do it that way??

Using the trailhead on Cherry Mtn Road tacks on an additional 1.9 mile trail-walk (versus using the Rt 115 trailheads). Perfectly OK, if that’s what you want. Also, most of Cherry Mtn road is gravel (rough in spots), and so it’s much slower than using the Rt 115 trailheads for a car-spot. However, a Cherry Mtn car-spot is about 1 mile less road-mileage.

In the end, there is not right or wrong here about the car-spot location. It all boils down to a matter of personal preference.

1HappyHiker said:
Uhh . . . did you really mean to spot a car on Bear Notch Road for a hike on Cherry Mountain?? :confused:

Uhh....yeah, I meant Old Cherry Mountain Rd. That's where you should spot the car. Gotta stop posting b4 I have my coffee....

dentonfabrics said:
Gotta stop posting b4 I have my coffee....
I can identify with “caffeine-deficiency” . . . not a pretty thing!!

Hope you know that no disrespect was intended by my posts to clarify a car-spot location for a Cherry Mtn traverse.