Faraway Mtn May Be Closer Than You Think

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I read the statistics correctly, $0.25 to go to the Crow's Nest back in 1882 would be about $5 to use nowadays, but in fact compared to the relative incomes of the time would require someone to give out the equivalent of today's $50. That's a good chunk of money just for the view, and I wonder if a) I did the calcs right, and 2) if that meant it was a viewpoint for the wealthy only?

If I read the statistics correctly, $0.25 to go to the Crow's Nest back in 1882 would be about $5 to use nowadays, but in fact compared to the relative incomes of the time would require someone to give out the equivalent of today's $50. That's a good chunk of money just for the view, and I wonder if a) I did the calcs right, and 2) if that meant it was a viewpoint for the wealthy only?
I concur with the first number, I just read somewhere that a 5 & 10 in Woolworth's time would be similar to $1.17/$2.33 or somesuch so the dollar stores aren't so far off.

Yes, in olden times lake and mountain vacations were for the wealthy so the Highland Center is entirely appropriate :) I'm sure the ordinary locals either snuck up or went when he had an open day for the community.