Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Faraway Mtn May Be Closer Than You Think

If I read the statistics correctly, $0.25 to go to the Crow's Nest back in 1882 would be about $5 to use nowadays, but in fact compared to the relative incomes of the time would require someone to give out the equivalent of today's $50. That's a good chunk of money just for the view, and I wonder if a) I did the calcs right, and 2) if that meant it was a viewpoint for the wealthy only?
    May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelJ View Post
    If I read the statistics correctly, $0.25 to go to the Crow's Nest back in 1882 would be about $5 to use nowadays, but in fact compared to the relative incomes of the time would require someone to give out the equivalent of today's $50. That's a good chunk of money just for the view, and I wonder if a) I did the calcs right, and 2) if that meant it was a viewpoint for the wealthy only?
    I concur with the first number, I just read somewhere that a 5 & 10 in Woolworth's time would be similar to $1.17/$2.33 or somesuch so the dollar stores aren't so far off.

Yes, in olden times lake and mountain vacations were for the wealthy so the Highland Center is entirely appropriate :-) I'm sure the ordinary locals either snuck up or went when he had an open day for the community.