Moose shot and killed in Worchester

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Worchester? Somebody's not from Massachusetts. :) It's spelled Worcester, and pronounced "Woostah" :)

haha

haha worchester. thats funny.
that moose was pretty daring, must have been looking for drugs, why else would anyone go to worcester?

No, no, he got it right. It USED to be "Woostah," but it's not anymore, they fixed it.

--Asswipe (That's pronounced "Oz-WEEP-ay.")
from Glostah

Too bad the cops couldn't sedate & move the beast to Rutland.

"Hey Rocky, watch me pull a metal shop out of my hat!"

--M. said:
No, no, he got it right. It USED to be "Woostah," but it's not anymore, they fixed it.

--Asswipe (That's pronounced "Oz-WEEP-ay.")
from Glostah

"Hey Rocky, watch me pull a metal shop out of my hat!"

yeah, wondering why they didnt sedate the moose and just release him elsewhere. guessing that they are not experienced ? maybee they dont have proper equipment to transport a 900# beast?
at least they are letting the local sportsmens clubs eat him at game banquets!

--M. said:

"
I thought the same thing but remember he was in Worcester! :eek:

Maddy said:
I thought the same thing but remember he was in Worcester! :eek:

I have HAD it with these slanderous posts about Worcester! I'm going to call a moderator! Worcester is Massachusetts' second-largest city! Worcester has an airport! Worcester, uh, has a lake! And a viable county courthouse! Now stop it!

Jeez, you talk about it like it's New Jersey or something.

I'm extremely happy no people were hurt or killed. This could have been a story about a 10 car pile-up. They sedate and relocate here still, but many communities are getting away from that as 1) it makes the animal someone elses problem and 2) most of the time the removed animal returns or is immediately replaced by another of it's kind.

Last edited:
nothing wrong with "wormtown".
i love worcester!

but getting back on subject, i am glad he didnt run onto 290 during rush hour traffic, could have been nasty.

A similar event occurred in Framingham a few years ago

--M. said:
Jeez, you talk about it like it's New Jersey or something.

No you need to stop it.....by the way it's Joesey....

It's funny what these creatures will do. A while back in a bad bug season they were wondering out onto the airport runways in Burlington,Vt. to get relief....that's the Moose were not the people from down south. Now the people from California....that's another story :rolleyes:

Keep in mind that animal control is a town/county responsibility, funded by taxpayer dollars. Shooting the animal and giving the carcass to a sportsmen's club or other volunteer group willing to butcher and eat it is far less expensive to the taxpayers than sedation, transportation, and release, all in good health.

Tim

bikehikeskifish said:
Keep in mind that animal control is a town/county responsibility, funded by taxpayer dollars. Shooting the animal and giving the carcass to a sportsmen's club or other volunteer group willing to butcher and eat it is far less expensive to the taxpayers than sedation, transportation, and release, all in good health.

Tim

Tim,
is it all in good health for the animal?

Has anyone here ever eaten moose?

bikehikeskifish said:
Is what in good health for the animal? Sedation and transportation? I don't know.

I've eaten moose. It's quite good.

Tim

I would rather be sedated and transported any day. i would hate to be shot and killed for wandering into worcester. oh wait, that is why i didnt go to worcester when i lived in Mass. hehe :D

i have never tried moose, but i think i would definately try it. since moving to vermont i have tried venison pepperoni and black bear soup. i threw up in mouth both times, but hey, i gotta try it! im not one for the red meat or game.

i would imagine that there could be a small moose population just west or worcester (spencer,brookfield and hardwick areas). The whole quabbin res area is a lovely area.

bikehikeskifish said:
Is your point an objection to shooting the moose? If so, why? I'm not sure what you're saying.

Tim

im just saying i feel bad for the moose. but im kind of soft like that.
as long as someone is eating the meat i am not complaining.
i guess its not really an objection to shooting the moose, more of a question as to why they couldnt just sedate and move(other than the cost issue of doing such). believe me, i am in no way and animal rights activist in any way, but i just didnt know it was standard practice to kill any wild animal that wanders into an urban area.

The news report I heard (WMUR?) said that they couldn't sedate and release the moose this close to hunting season because the drugs would still be in the moose's system and could affect people eating the meat.

Sounded a little far fetched to me.

mookie said:
why they couldnt just sedate and move(other than the cost issue of doing such). believe me, i am in no way and animal rights activist in any way, but i just didnt know it was standard practice to kill any wild animal that wanders into an urban area.

Assuming it is standard practice, probably for public safety reasons (causing car crashes on 290 concerns the public safety), then one must have a plan in place to deal with it. Presumably their plan is to shoot it. Doesn't mean it's a good plan, or a bad plan, it's just a plan, probably because they don't have the means, financial or otherwise (people power, experience, equipment) to do anything less Draconian.

Driving in NH, you see signs for and expect to potentially see moose. Probably not the case in Worcester. Heck, look at how much trouble snow and ice cause in areas down south which are not used to dealing with them.

Tim