N Bother and Fort Via Marston Trail/Herd Path

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carl

Reaction score
N Brother and Fort Via Marston Trail/Herd Path

Date of Hike: 10/4/08

Trail Conditions: Normal fall trail conditions to about 3000 feet. Snow thereafter, gradually increasing to about an inch at tree line. No ice on the rocks but there was a little rime at N Brother summit. It was snowing and with winds at about 30 MPH above treeline, it was winter conditions. On the herd path to Fort, the spruce were a little droopy with wet heavy snow. It made following the route on the way over a little more difficult but a little easier on the way back as the disturbed snow made the route fairly evident.

Special Equipment Required: Winter clothing. I was wearing summer boots but insulated boots would have been welcomed by my cold toes. Micro Spikes or Stablicers not needed on this day but the rangers reported ice above 4000 feet so it might be wise to carry them. Picture at treeline here .

Comments: Followed Una Dogger's description of the herd path with good success. Her description is here .

Your name: Carl

Your E-mail address: [email protected]

Last edited: