Snow, black ice and ice on Algonquin

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yvon

Reaction score
Algonquin Peak, october 4 2008.

We began our hike to Algonquin with the goal of doing a loop by going up directly to the summit and returned by Avalanche Pass. My goal now, is redoing the summits that we have done, but a different approach. And, today,my choice is focused on two mountains, Algonquin and Colden. Doing these two mountains, but in a loop, what we never did. After having recieved advices to know which way is better to do, we choose this option instead of doing the opposite. Now, I present my research to Annie, to know her preference. She prefers doing Algonquin. Having known that the High Peak region had received its first snow I wondered if I had to bring some winter gears. But not knowing the real conditions and the real needs, we take the decision to dont bring any special gears. I asked information about the trail from the summit to Lake Colden because we've never done this trail. I read that this potion is very steep, but I think this is personal and I will judge the steepness when I would have done it.
We begin our hike at a temperature of 5 ⁰ C / 41 ⁰ F. The first part of the trail was very muddy. We learned later, that it rain most of the week. That's why there plenty of water and mud. Arrived at an altitude of 3500 feet, we see the first signs of the snow. Arrived at the Wright jonction, there are about 15 cm / 6 inches of snow on the trees. Even with the snow on the vegetation, there is not much on the trail. A little later, we have both feet in the snow. Yes, for the first time this fall, we have our boots in the snow. A wet snow and sometimes very slippery. At the height of the tops of trees, it is something else. We have, a strong wind, and on the ground we almost have winter conditions. Snow and black ice are in places. Arrived at about 200-300 feet from the summit we are now on real ice in several places and some portions are quite special to negotiate without crampons. I would say the Stabilicers would have been useful. Annie did not like these conditions today, she was affraid some times. We met a Ranger and we asked him if he know the conditions of the trail to Lake Colden. He said he had not gone through there and he does not know the current conditions. It tells us that this portion may be it could have more ice than where we are now. He advises us, that it would be cautious to return by the same path as going down to Lake Colden. He convinced us. After reaching the summit, we start immediately our return. It is so cold that we do not want to stay any longer and the view is not good, because we are in the clouds. The temperature is -2 ⁰ C / 28 ⁰ F, with strong winds and gusts.
The first portion of the descente was special with this ice and snow trampled by the people who was also very slippery. We have seen, I think, 50 hikers at least today in the path.
We arrived at parking, it is 15.30h and we decided that we will pass at the 46er Fall Meeting which was in Keene Valley. We want to meet people who could be there. We met, Pete, Tom, Joe, Dick and Johanne and others. After some talking and bought a few items, we take the road to go back home.

Although we have not reached our goal of the day, we had a very nice day

Photos of the hike

Yvon et Annie -

Great pics on a beautiful day...the contrast from trailhead to summit is amazing, and the pics showing the fall color beyond from the snowy summit are beautiful. I'll be up on Friday...hope some of the color is still there!

Scott

Yvon & Annie

I just mist the snow last week on Algonquin. I hope it will
stay for this weekend in the white....

Very good picture.thanks to share :)

yvon said:
After reaching the summit, we start immediately our return. It is so cold that we do not want to stay any longer and the view is not good, because we are in the clouds.
Been there, done that... several years prior!!

I can imagine with all of the people on the trail... how many were totally unprepared for that kind of welcome?? :eek: