Winter Mountaineering Boots

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HikingBryan

Reaction score
Hey guys,

After a few years with COLD feet (no pun...) I've decided it's time to get a proper pair of winter mountaineering boots. I'm thinking double plastics, but would also consider insulated leather etc.

I don't do any technical ice climbing, but do get above treeline for day trips and plan to do some overnights this winter.

How well do plastics work with snowshoes?

How comfortable are plastics on approaches and longer flat walks?

What are you guys using what do you think are the pros and cons?

Thanks,

Bryan

'Tis the season . . . for the annual winter boot queries. :)

May we softly suggest that you first check the archives here, searching for terms like "plastic boots", "double boots", "winter boots", and even the dreaded "shin bang"? You will quickly see that your questions, however reasonable they are, appear like clockwork annually and have been flogged many times on VFTT.

Here goes.....

1) How well do plastics work with snowshoes? - Very well. All you have to do is adjust the bindings and off you go.

2) How comfortable are plastics on approaches and longer flat walks? - For me they are reasonably comfortable. I've done 10-14 mile days in them without any issues. But remember they are plastics after all and synthetics are more comfortable.

3) What are you guys using what do you think are the pros and cons? - I have both plastic and synthetic winter mountaineering boots. My plastics are Koflach Degre boots. They are a bit warmer than my synthetics and completely waterproof but they aren't as comfortable as synthetic boots. My synthetic boots are Millet Alpinists. The upper moves very well and the sole is nice and rigid. They are waterproofed with Gore Tex. My Millet boots are not double boots. Both type have very rigid soles to allow for good cramponing. I have yet to be cold in my Millet boots and typically wear them on 99% of my winter climbing. The only time I wear my plastic double boots is on overnights.

If I were you I would look at the new synthetic double boots that are available now. The La Sportive Spantik is a very nice boot.

I have no problem with my koflach degres, but I did replace the liners when the old ones started to "bang". I ended up using liners from my koflach randonee boots in the degres for rainier, very comfortable the entire time.

You might want to consider a good pair of overboots if you like your regular boots and don't want to hassle with finding new ones.

kaseri said:
Here goes.....

2) How comfortable are plastics on approaches and longer flat walks? - For me they are reasonably comfortable. I've done 10-14 mile days in them without any issues. But remember they are plastics after all and synthetics are more comfortable.

3) What are you guys using what do you think are the pros and cons? - I have both plastic and synthetic winter mountaineering boots. My plastics are Koflach Degre boots. They are a bit warmer than my synthetics and completely waterproof but they aren't as comfortable as synthetic boots. My synthetic boots are Millet Alpinists. The upper moves very well and the sole is nice and rigid. They are waterproofed with Gore Tex. My Millet boots are not double boots. Both type have very rigid soles to allow for good cramponing. I have yet to be cold in my Millet boots and typically wear them on 99% of my winter climbing. The only time I wear my plastic double boots is on overnights.

If I were you I would look at the new synthetic double boots that are available now. The La Sportive Spantik is a very nice boot.

I found plastics pretty annoying on paved walks down (like from Pebble creek down to Paradise parking lot on mt rainier.) and I found that the Degres rub the bone on my ankle because of the height of the boot.

I have a pair of synthetic Scarpa Charmoz that are at least 1/2 the weight of the Koflach Degres. I've used it on overnights and dayhikes and they are infinitely more comfy to me than plastic boots. In fact, I only used the Degres on mt Rainier and every other big mtn I've done was in the Scarpas, including some overnights.

Jay

Thanks for the input thus far.

Seems it's a matter of taste, plastic or synthetic...

I've been looking that the La Sportiva Nuptse, with some degree of interest. With a synthetic double boot, does the outer freeze up on overnights or do they go into the bag along with the liners at night?

I'm pretty picky about my footwear, and I would be willing to pay a few extra bucks for comfort but not at the cost of quality or reliability.

Other than potential comfort and weight, how do the double synthetics stack up to the double plastics ni flat walks, on rocks, and up ice?

Thanks,

Bryan

HikingBryan said:
I've been looking that the La Sportiva Nuptse, with some degree of interest. With a synthetic double boot, does the outer freeze up on overnights or do they go into the bag along with the liners at night?

I'm pretty picky about my footwear, and I would be willing to pay a few extra bucks for comfort but not at the cost of quality or reliability.
You'd still leave the shell out of the bag and bring the liner in. I put my leathers inside the bag in the winter.

Also consider what you will be doing the most. IMO, plastics really shine for multi-day camping trips in real cold or long/slow cold slogs (Denali, Himalayas) where you just can't/shouldn't move fast enough to generate that much heat to your feet. Leathers shine on everything else.

I climbed Rainier in August with my La Sportiva Trango Evo GTXs, and in winter usually use my Nepal Evo GTXs and my feet still end up sweating and chilling themselves cold!

My suggestion would be to try on a slew of footwear, either by visiting the N.Conway area and hitting up EMS and IME, The Mountaineer in Keene, NY, or ordering a bunch from zappos.com and returning the ones that didn't work out (free shipping on returns). And remember to try them on with any insoles you might like using and the socks you plan on using - those two things will make a big difference in the fit.

Last edited:
On your way north/south from Reading to the WMNF, consider visiting Alec's Shoes in downtown Nashua (and go next door to Martha's for a beer while you're there.) I went there last year on a recommendation and they listened to the five (count 'em: 5) pairs I was interested in seeing, and came back 5 minutes later carrying 5 pairs in my requested size.

Here's a good thread from last year:

http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18922

Tim

Plastics are great, but definitely be aware of potential shin bang, which I may have mentioned in previous threads about boots. I wore a pair of Koflach Viva Softs, a double boot 80's vintage during a climbing class that involved a lot of walking and got a bad shin bang from one of them that almost crippled me until it got better.

I would just make sure whatever you get fits well and be attentive to how your feet and shins are feeling. I also had a pair of Asolo double boots I wore with snowshoes a couple of times and they worked fine, except for being really heavy. I've worn Sorels snowshoeing and they are lighter and more flexible.

a vote for Scarpa Charmoz

lightweight..room for a high volume sock..equally good in msr"s or crampons

I really like these boot for on snow/ice hiking

a bit stiff for dry trails for me though I do hike in trailrunners 3 season

I usually use single leather lightweight mountaineering boots for above zero degree F. winter hiking (Salomon SM Lite) and double leather boots for colder temps, for ice climbing and for overnighters (Galibier Makalu). If I was looking for new double boots, I'd be sure to try the Vasque Radiator boots.

Hey Guys,

After some time and research I'm getting closer to a decision.

I'm strongly considering the La Sportiva Nepal EVO and the La Sportiva Nuptse. Two entirely different boots, both with their advantages.

Let me reiterate my intended usage....

20% Snowshoeing (Flat day trips with the gf)
60% Winter hiking with cramponing (4Ks)
20% Winter camping (low and high altitude)

I will increase the % of winter camping and backcountry approaches over the next couple years...

Both boots are comparably priced and seem to be well regarded.

That said, any input, thoughts, advice and/or suggestions???

Thanks all.

BK

Simple: whatever fits your feet the best. I simply love my Degres: they fit perfectly. The time that you spend making sure that the fit is right will pay huge dividends when you really need them.

I went to REI, got fitted, aksed them if I could take a rental pair out for a few hours and headed out to Holt Hill in Andover. I found that I needed to switch to the next shell size, and shim a bit, but got exactly what I needed. I spent nearly a day between fitting and hiking in them before purchasing.

Your usage seem pretty typical. As has been mentioned, there are a lot of threads and opinions from years past. What I can say from my experience:

-One boot for all uses.
-I absolutely hate wearing stiff plastic boots
-When camping, my boots come off no matter what I am wearing
-Keeping them dry is, to me, as important if not moreso than how warm they are
-Fully step-in crampon compatiable
-Flexible for approach hikes, but stiff enough for front-pointing.

I wear a now-discontinued Salomon boot, which is a leather boot, with a plastic rand that runs along the bottom. So, for the footbed, it is essentially a plastic boot. They are not as bulky since they aren't double-boots. They are much more flexible. They are leather-lined, and I wear them in bare feet with only VBLs on. They have molded completely to my feet so they are very, very comfortable. Since I'm wearing VBLs, the inside stays dry.

At camp, I take them off and wear booties around camp. In the morning, I heat up a water bottle to put in the boots while I am getting ready. They warm up quick, and stay warm all day. I have never had cold feet in them.

Again, this is just me.

SAL0283.jpg

Bryan - there's a recent thread on overboots, which also contains recommendations for winter boots. Check it out also before you buy.

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to give the update... After thinking long and hard, and accepting the fact that PB&J for a few months wont kill me, I threw down on a pair of La Sportiva Nuptse. I am very excited to get these guys and put them to use.

If anyone is interested, Moosejaw is selling a few off sized surplus stock, which in combination with the 20% discounts brings these to under $400, shipping included.

Thanks again for all the advice. It's great having public forums such as this to share thoughts and advice!

Keep smiling,

Bryan

Awesome, enjoy the Nuptses and the PB&Js ;)

tip: try it with almond butter instead