Missing hikers in Maine

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Townie

Reaction score
This from the Oct. 6 Portland Press Herald:

STRATTON -- Members of the Maine Warden Service are in the woods here looking for two hikers, reported lost late last night. A state police dispatcher said a call came into the Augusta barracks from a family member of one of the hikers, reporting they were lost.

Rescue workers began searching for the two people around 11 p.m. yesterday. They resumed their search around 6 a.m. this morning. The area around the town is a hiking and snowmobiling destination, as there are many trails and wilderness areas.

I don't know any more details, but this is the Bigelow-Crockers-Sugarloaf area.

Saw these guys on Bigelow West Peak on Sunday about 12:30 PM. hiking towards the Horns. Glad they are both OK as they were not prepared to spend the night out. Temps were relatively mild considering what they could have been.

Skiguy (and others on the Bigelows on Sunday): did you see a boat out on the lake?

el-bagr said:
Skiguy (and others on the Bigelows on Sunday): did you see a boat out on the lake?

If you mean Flagstaff....I did'nt notice any boats. Were you out for a paddle? If so you must of had the place to yourself. :cool:

"unable to hike down a trail because of darkness"??????

Somebody better tell Mats he should only hike when it's light out! :D

Mad Townie said:
"unable to hike down a trail because of darkness"??????

As I already mentioned these guys definitely didnot look like they had enough gear to spend the night out....my guess is they were just like the folks on the Francs who needed to be pulled out without a flashlight.

If you mean Flagstaff....I did'nt notice any boats. Were you out for a paddle? If so you must of had the place to yourself. :cool:

IMG_2965.jpg

We put in in Stratton, camped with our unleashed dog at the site of the lost village, and fired off a good number of shotgun shells. (Not to speak of prohibited subjects.)