Overboots for winter vs Winter Boots

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip

Reaction score
With all the trials and tribulations people experience when condsidering the purchase of Winter Boots, I've suggested a couple of times that a good pair of overboots may be the way to go. Seems so much easier and less expensive to pull a pair of these over your favorite boots and be done with it. I admit I came to this conclusion after spending 2 years configuring my Degres to my liking and spending probably $600 doing it.

I'm wondering why Overboots aren't a more popular option in the Northeast.

I have the NEOS Navigator overshoes. I have worn them in winter over trail runners for long snowshoe treks, and they work quite well.

Advantages: You're always warm; you are in whatever comfortable summer footwear you like inside the overshoe.

Disadvantages: Poor crampon attachment (no attachment for step in crampons); the overshoes are bigger and "klunkier" than winter boots; it's a second layer that takes some time to put on and take off, as opposed to a simple boot; they are overkill for the "in between seasons" (like now).

I have good winter boots that I use for ice climbing, cramponing, and some snowshoe treks. I use the overshoes for "pure snow" treks where I know crampons will not be used. I am in the market for a good pair of moderately insulated winter boots (Columbia -25, or something like that) for the in between seasons.

(Right now, I "stretch" my trail runners into the fall by using chemical heaters in them.)

Tom

Ever since Chip posted about overboots in another thread I have been thinking about them. I am finding it difficult to find a winter boot to fit. The winter boots I have now just do not fit weel and I get all sorts of blisters and even tendinitis wearing them. I was miserable last winter. I have small narrow feet and nothing seems to fit well in the heel part of the boots. There is no outdoor store where I live that carries a decent selection of winter boots so I send by mail and then return when the boot doesn't fit. An overboot for my Montrail summer boots may just be the solution...

Hampshire said:
Please note that these overboots (Forty Below and OR) have a smooth, treadless sole and are used in conjunction with crampons. I've only worn them (OR) on summit day on Denali.
Maybe it's that simple. You'd have to be in crampons or snowshoes the whole time (which might be fine) or start off on the rocks and dirt with your regular boots and put these on when you needed the crampons or snowshoes.

There are insulated winter gaiters that cover the whole boot with the sole exposed, but those probably aren't as warm.

Good point, Hampshire, didn't think of that.

Chip said:
There are insulated winter gaiters that cover the whole boot with the sole exposed, but those probably aren't as warm.
Supergaiters:
http://www.mtntools.com/cat/techwear/Gaiters/mountaintoolssupergaiters.htm

Probably not as warm as an overboot, which tends to insulate a little between the crampon and the boot, but it's all a compromise and probably better for the NE rockyness - I just can't imagine stopping during a winter hike to put on overboots and crampons... and then stopping again on the way out to take them both off.

Chip said:

These are what I use.... I have a pair of OR supergaiters I found on ebay. I don't think they make them any more, but they do seem to come up on ebay regularly.....

I find them absolutely the perfect thing for me........I never have cold feet any more! :cool: :D

I have a couple of pairs of super gaitors. One pair is uninsulated, and glued to a pair of insulated Salomon leather mountaineering boots. I wore them for a couple of winters before trying a pair of Salomon Snow Bows, and found the Snow Bows better overall - they're much lighter, provide nearly as much support as the other Salomon's, and perhaps more importantly, cost but a fraction of the combined cost of boots and gaitors.

When it's truly cold and I'll be wearing crampons for most of the day, I wear my plastics (Scarpa Invernos) with a pair of insulated gaitors. The gaitors carry the Climb High label, but am quite sure they're actually made by Wild Things, which makes top-end mountaineering clothing and gear. I think they're located in the Conway area.

One word on supergaitors - the heavy neoprene makes them difficult to put on and take off. Not something you want to do out in the mountains - rather, put them on in comfort of your living room, slowing easing and stretching the neoprene over the boot.

I've not used overboots, and wouldn't unless I was doing a high altitude climb in very cold conditions. They may be warmer than insulated supergaitors, but have a comparatively sloppy fit. With gaitors the boot sole makes contact with the ground, but not with overboots.

Finally - I think the best all-round winter hiking boot in the Northeast is something like the Salomon Snowbows above. While that model is no longer made, there's a similar one. And, lots of other company's make them - Columbia and Northface, to name just two. I have friends who've purchased the Avalanche model from Cabela's and have been quite satisfied. It may also be the least expensive boot. In any case, look for a boot with 400 grams of Thinsulate insulation - some offer 200, and it isn't quite enough. Here's what that type of boot looks like -

Winter boots/narrow feet

I have size 12 feet, B width, and it's virtually impossible to find "winter" boots that fit, so I use Lowa Banff boots in Narrow which fit great and on the more extreme hikes carry Sherpa neoprene boot covers (probably hard to find now) which I've used a few times such at Baxter, and Wild Country insulated overboots which I've never needed, but they're my insurance. The former don't cover the lug soles so are fine for barebooting; the latter would only be good with crampons or showshoes.
Winter's coming...
John

I've got overboots that are tough fabric all sides and bottom and lined everywhere with thinsulate. I rarely use them but....when I do they're incredible for winter camping. On one trip last winter we used them in daytime high of 8 below winter camping for three days doing lean-to work and they made all the difference in the world. My feet were snug as a bug and after I convinced a special person to use my second pair they were sold on the idea.

I've never tried to snowshoe in them but I haven't felt the need to while moving maybe because I always wear wool socks. And we're pulling pulks in winter so I'm pretty warm.

Found mine on steep and cheap about five years ago. Once in awhile I get lucky there.

Those supergaitors look really good for dayhiking. Does anyone prefer the neoprene or the thinsulate?

BorealChickadee said:
...Those supergaitors look really good for dayhiking. Does anyone prefer the neoprene or the thinsulate?

I may not understand your question, but ... the lower portion of supergaitors has a neoprene bootie that fits over your boot, with cutouts for the boot sole. Above that is the insulated knee-high fabric, usually insulated with Thinsulate, Primaloft, etc.

If you decide to use either overboots or supergaitors, having a proper fit is critical. Overboots need to fit snug around the sole and welt of the boot in order for crampons to fit properly and also so there is not extra material that can slop and shift around while walking. Supergaitors adhere to the boot usually with a large rubber rand. These rands are not all shaped the same and therefore present different fit options; which is good and bad. The key is finding the one that matches the shape of your boot. As mentioned these rands can actually be glued to the boot but be careful. Leaving these rands adhered to the boot permanently can put alot of stress on the sole and Midsole of the boot and can actually curl the sole of the boot. If your boot is a fullshanked boot you should not have this problem; 1/2 or 3/4 shanked boots should have supergaitors removed in the off season.

Kevin Rooney said:
I may not understand your question, but ... the lower portion of supergaitors has a neoprene bootie that fits over your boot, with cutouts for the boot sole. Above that is the insulated knee-high fabric, usually insulated with Thinsulate, Primaloft, etc.

Thanks Kevin. When I looked at the pictures I thought there was a choice between two types. Ah, enlightenment!

BorealChickadee said:
Thanks Kevin. When I looked at the pictures I thought there was a choice between two types. Ah, enlightenment!

You're welcome. And I just want to emphasize - supergaitors come in both insulated and NON-insulated flavors. Usually the bottoms (the part the grip your boot) are the same for either flavor. The insulation is in the upper portion.