Ferncroft to Sabbaday Brook, Oct 9

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

una_dogger

Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago I knew I'd have a window of opportunity to hike on Oct 9 -- and I tossed out the idea of doing a Sandwich Wilderness Traverse to Silverfox -- Whiteface, The Sleepers, and The Tripyramids. As luck would have it, it was a traverse that he had often considered. Little did I know that the mere suggestion would spark a chain of events -- people and cars were staged--a route carefully scrutinized -- all occuring behind the scenes as MichaelJ and I focused on moving our worldly goods from one location to another, and by the time I spoke to Silverfox again, all was set. All I had to do was be in Meredith at about 6:30 am on Thursday, give or take two minutes :) , and I'd have a group of eager participants to hike with. Sweet.

Thursday arrives. Its 4:00 am and my alarm is ringing. Its time to go hiking!!! Terra and I hop into the Suby and begin the long, dark drive North to New Hampshire, where Pepperidge Farm remembers...

I pulled into Meredith a few minutes late, but we had plenty of time, and after a nickle tour of Meredith and a Fair Trade Iced coffee, specially brewed, I was following Silverfox to Grumpy Gran's house, where we picked she and Finn the traildoggy up. The trees were a beautiful gold and red and formed an endless canopy over the quiet backcountry roads between Sandwich and Ferncroft. Soon we arrived at the trailhead, and discussed whether or not we'd approach Whiteface via the Blueberry Ledges. We opted for Dicey's Mill given the rains the night before. We started up the trail, seeing a few hikers at the trail head. They were the last people we'd see until the end of our day.

Dicey's Mill is a haul that to me, feels longer than it is. I see the hieght of land for a long time before I reach it. Gran is in front, making good time. I take the time to catch up with Mark, which is always a treat. Terra runs ahead to taunt Finn with her couquettish ways. :rolleyes: Finn is powerless. We catch up to Gran, and I ask her if she's interested in tagging Passaconnaway as well, she says "no", and I'm a bit relieved. It wouldn't take much arm twisting, but....

We passed over Whiteface without much consideration, and find ourselves at the Blueberry Ledge/Kate Sleeper Jct 6 or so miles and 3 hours later. We're making good time and have the majority of the gain behind us -- and we all seem to relax at this point and fall into a nice rhythm.

Heading out down the Kate Sleeper Trail, I'm keeping my eyes peeled for the Downe's Brook Jct, which I found confusing last January. We reach it and take a quick map check to confirm our heading. We turn off toward the Sleepers, and the trail markedly narrows. A beautiful bog can be seen through the woods to the west -- a sweet moose wallow up high. The woods are misty dark and deep...oh wait...that's another place, another time, another writer.....but there is a misty shroud in the woods, which are quiet and green and peaceful...I'm reminded of that "salamander in a terrarium feeling" that I love so much -- that isolated feeling, the feeling of being something small in something large - a place and time where I can feel like I can just "be" and don't feel I need to step up and take care of anything...stress is peeling away, layer by layer...yes, life IS good. I like being a salamander. :)

The herd path to East Sleeper is well marked, and we take a quick photo op at the summit. I had wanted to start working on finishing the NEHH, in the interim between finishing the 48/67/115; it seemed like the thing to do. Mark is working on them, as well, along with needing the Try's for his fifth round, and Gran just completed her ninth round of the 48 -- I'm in good company, indeed. Its a good fit, the three of us, and the two dogs -- we keep a nice pace, everyone is focused on the traverse, the planning is loose but execution cohesive --all is as it should be.

Mark spots a small rise in the woods to the east, and we find a slight herdpath to East Sleeper, complete with the characteristic little wear patch in the center where everyone ultimately stands wondering, "is this the summit?" . Bootprints maybe two days old convince us. We tap poles and we are off. Next stop, the South Slide on the Tripyramids, where we plan to have lunch. The Kate Sleeper trail is a very beautiful trail, lots of good energy here, and before we leave it, the sun comes out.

We hit the slide, stop for lunch and take in the views. The Osceloa's, Tecumsah and Welch-Dickey take center stage. Its been about 8.5 to 9 miles or so, we've kept a steady pace, not rushing, but not dallying either. It feels good to sit in the sun. Its also good to see that we enter the slide near the top. A stiff climb and we re-enter the woods -- it reminds me a bit of the Macoomb Slide and I describe to my new friends how steep the pitch up through the narrow herdpath it is at the top of the Macoomb Slide. There is some talk of the OTHH heading to the Daks, and I am happy. Would be very good to get back here, and even better to share it with those who are experiencing the Adirondacks for the first time.

We hit the South summit of Tripyramids, and Gran stands on a rock pointing out the limited views. Off to Middle, which rises above us at one point. The woods between S and M and misty, and I pause to snap a photo of Silverfox moving through the forest. Middle comes quickly, and soon we are dropping packs in the col, and heading off for North. A longer climb, and then we summit. What a day!!! Six peaks -- we've done it, we've crossed the wilderness -- neat to think that their is still enough wilderness that it can take one a full day on foot to cross it. Makes me smile and feel good to be alive.

Heading down Sabbaday Brook my feet tire. Its been a busy summer for me, all worky no hikey. It feels good to have sore feet. It feels good to have nothing left to say. Just to walk in the woods, to look around, to hear the wind, to be in a place where we are just being, no action necessary.

Shortly before Sabbaday Falls we begin to see people. Leaf peepers, like me, I guess. Just ones who don't walk so far. Back at the cars, the dogs crash. So grateful to Gran's husband, the golfer, who made the carspot the night before possible. He doesn't really understand why we "need" peaks -- but he understood the necessity for the car to be there waiting for us. :)

Driving back to Ferncroft, the sun sets, and Chocorohua beckons. What a great traverse that looks like!!!!! I'm intrigued, and I can't wait to come back to the mountains.

Later that evening I am blessed to recieve the hospitality of some kind strangers == connected by our shared love of the mountains, the fresh air, the soil under our feet and the views that leave us speachless -- the understanding of the "need" to be there...good food and celebration is served up around the table, always it takes me back, how familiar strangers can be when there is something important, something central shared between them. Feels like old friends, just like the mountains.

Another great day in the mountains, but then, aren't they all???

A few pics:

Silverfox on the trail:
ry%3D480

Friends
ry%3D400

More friends
ry%3D480

At home in the Mountains Gran is:
ry%3D480

Peace at the end of the day
ry%3D480

Good to be here
ry%3D480

Last edited:
Thanks Sabrina for taking time out of your busy moving week to help make this hike so excellent.. A nice combination of friends and dogs made the miles fly by and the smiles linger..You captured well the esscence of our hike where sometimes we laughed..sometimes we just talked..some times we listened to the leaves rustling below on our feet and marvelled at the sights around us in silence...good stuff..nice six pack.... :) cool shot of the dogs....ever hopeful

Silverfox said:
cool shot of the dogs....ever hopeful

LOL! I liked that one, too....they are just so ever hopeful that a handful of treats may come out of that pocket! I wonder what/who made them think that might happen???
:rolleyes:

Thanks again for the great day! Long day of 19 hours for me but worth every second of lost sleep! :D

Meanwhile, some of us were at work that day ... grr.

Nah, I'm glad you had such a great hike! That's a beautiful area and this was a great way to really appreciate it. And, coincidentally, get another NE100 peak, uh-huh. :)

Wow sabrina, great TR and yes that last picture is just sweeeeeeet. Isn't it great to take a day when you should be working and have it turnout that nice. :D Pre-congrats on your finish i believe to be on bonds.