Allen 10/11/08

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guinness

Reaction score
Allen was not high on my list and I just do not make an effort to go and visit it. However this trip was needed to clean-up loose ends and finish another 46 round. Leaving the trailhead at 6:30, I arrived at the Opalescent River temporary crossing about 1.5 hours later. I brought gaiters to help and try to keep the boots dry, but no luck. I just jumped in and pushed my way across fast and dealt with the partially wet boots.

The trip back to the start of the Allen slide was uneventful. At this point, there was only one other hiker back there with me. She promptly passed me with no effort (must be nice to be young). I was the normally slow guy on the ascent. I spent a little more time to ensure careful footing. The last time I was on Allen I took a fall and I remember that all too well.

On the summit I met the one who passed me (sorry – I do not have her name). I took her picture for her as this was her 40th peak. Two more hikers joined me before I left the summit for the slow agonizing trip down. Oh what I would give for younger knees. The trip out was again uneventful. Back at the trailhead, I changed and drove half way home which is a 6+ hour drive for me. With the summit of Allen I have completed my third round and only need a few more for my forth.

Guinness said:
Allen was not high on my list and I just do not make an effort to go and visit it. However this trip was needed to clean-up loose ends and finish another 46 round. Leaving the trailhead at 6:30, I arrived at the Opalescent River temporary crossing about 1.5 hours later. I brought gaiters to help and try to keep the boots dry, but no luck. I just jumped in and pushed my way across fast and dealt with the partially wet boots.

The trip back to the start of the Allen slide was uneventful. At this point, there was only one other hiker back there with me. She promptly passed me with no effort (must be nice to be young). I was the normally slow guy on the ascent. I spent a little more time to ensure careful footing. The last time I was on Allen I took a fall and I remember that all too well.

On the summit I met the one who passed me (sorry – I do not have her name). I took her picture for her as this was her 40th peak. Two more hikers joined me before I left the summit for the slow agonizing trip down. Oh what I would give for younger knees. The trip out was again uneventful. Back at the trailhead, I changed and drove half way home which is a 6+ hour drive for me. With the summit of Allen I have completed my third round and only need a few more for my forth.

Congrats on your third round victory. I am sure everyone wants to know how many times you fell on the slide :D When I Was there I think I fell like 4 times. So was there any snow left?

Adam

1ADAM12: I slide several times, but I failed to fall even once - just lucky I guess. As for the weather - it was outstanding, no snow, or even the hint of snow. There was lots of mud and with the thick leaf coverage I more than once did the boot sucking step.

Viewseeker: Yes I you would have won that bet. I was very wet after the first crossing. I have blisters - again - to show for that.

Bubba: What can I say. The x-rays showed it all last year as I am building quite a layer of arthritic buildup in my left knee - hell getting old.

hey, is it me or what is with the funky avatars??? Guinness's and 1ADAM12's all appear "scrambled" to me.. anybody else..and it's not just those two, some other user's avatars are showing up scrambled..

Guiness, maybe you should resort to hopping! I hope I stay forever young...

Jay

Jay H said:
hey, is it me or what is with the funky avatars??? Guinness's and 1ADAM12's all appear "scrambled" to me.. anybody else..and it's not just those two, some other user's avatars are showing up scrambled..
Jay

I'm also seeing scrambled avatars. Maybe an issue with the server where the images are hosted...?