The Bonds Oct. 25 or 26 ???

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
keep me posted

How are you approaching it? What's your plan? Any chance of catching any other peaks for someone that doesn't have any of the Bonds or Zealand?

Keep me posted, I might be able to catch this trip.

-Bob S

hiking the Bonds

Bob, I was thinking of starting at the Wilderness Trail around 5:45am. The trail is flat for 4 miles and it's easy to hike with headlamps.Then would end at Zealand Trail. I need 2 cars to do this. I have the Wildcats left to do but really want to do this while there is still light. Julie

I just did the Bonds on Saturday, Oct 11th. We started at the Zealand trailhead around 6:30 am. We did Zealand, W. Bond, Bond & were sitting on Bondcliff by 12:30. We spent about an hour on Bondcliff then headed out via Lincoln woods. We were at out car spot just before 5 p.m.

The Bonds are truly amazing.

Bonds

Did you start at Zealand because the elevation gain is lower, than starting at the Wilderness Trail? I think it will take me longer than it took you. I'm in my late 50's and hike on the slower side. Is there anywhere along the trails that you could go the wrong way? I was considering doing it myself if I can't find anyone else. Julie

I find starting at the north end is better, especially this time of year - less elevation gain, and if there is a time problem you can easily do Lincoln Woods' 8 miles in the dark with a headlamp since, as you said, it is wide, flat, and easy to follow.

This way, you don't have to feel rushed on the prime peaks, and can set a limit of, say, 2 PM to leave the Bondcliff summit and head down... gives you some leisure time on top if you are ahead of schedule or want to lounge around a bit, and some comfort if you are running behind schedule. I was up there last week on a beautiful Wednesday and headed down from the summit around 5 PM - hit the wilderness trail before it got too dark and was out to the car a bit after 8 with a flashlight. Not sure if I would have liked heading down past Zeacliff in the dark, but then again, I started much later than 5:45 (hate getting up early!)

Not too much chance of getting on the wrong trail as there aren't too many intersecting trails along the way.

Just my two cents - I'm sure you already know all of this :) Have a good time and I hope the weather cooperates!

We started from the north because you get a good amount of the elevation gain out of the way while ascending Zeacliff and the gains from Zeacliff on are relatively easy. I would hike it with a partner if possible. If anything should happen you'll be a long way from the nearest trailhead.