The Transit of Venus 6/8

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue

Reaction score
Tuesday, June 8th, 5:00 AM EST, Venus will cross the sun.

"The most noteworthy astronomical event of the month (or, arguably, of the century!), is, of course, the transit of Venus across the disk of the Sun on June 8th. Such transits are relatively rare events. Due to the interrelationship between the orbits of Earth and Venus, they tend to occur in cycles. For example, the last two transits of Venus (occurring on December 9, 1874, and December 6, 1882) were approximately 8 years apart. There followed a gap of 122 (actually, 121.5) years until our June 8, 2004, transit. The next transit occurs on June 6, 2012—8 years from now. The transits after this pair we are privileged to enjoy will occur 105.5 years later, on December 11, 2117, and December 8, 2125. The complete cycle consists of transits 8 years apart, followed by a gap of 121.5 years, then 8 years again, and, finally, 105.5 years. The cycle repeats in this fashion. "

for more info, see:

Venus

[parent trip]
And please, please, PLEASE use sun-rated eye protection. There are special "glasses" (they look like the old 3D movie glasses, but with very dark lenses) that are designed specially for solar viewing. :cool: Regular sunglasses aren't nearly enough.

Unless, of course, you want to burn a nice little spot in your retinas where you won't ever be able to see anything again! :eek:
[/parent trip]

Blue,
I am impressed with all this knowledge.....

I was able to see Venus this morning at 6:30 through ground fog. The sun had a tough time shinning through the fog where I live in S. N.H. Venus appeared as a little dot on the right side of the sun.
Very awesome to view this.
I wonder if anyone up north in the mountains was able to get a better view??
Happy Trails
Sticks

I wish I had caught this thread earlier, I would have loved to have seen home again. Oh wait, that was Mars.:D