Post-Hiking Appetite

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fisher Cat

Reaction score
I'm curious for feedback on this. The last two years I've noticed for at least a week after a hiking excursion my appetite is voracious. It doesn't matter if it was just a day hike, like the hike we did to Garfield Oct 12, or a week of hiking trips of varying lengths. Whatever the case, when I return I will eat anything that steers on by. I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed that, is it an issue that arises as you get older, or is it commonplace, does it last a couple, or several days, or longer? I've been hiking since I was 6 and it just seems more pronounced now. I'm a healthy eater and bring plenty of food for the hikes.
Thanks for any thoughts or observations.

As the years of hiking increase I need about the same amount of calories on a hiking day as on non-hiking day. I might eat a bit more the evening of a hike, but not substantially more. I do need to drink alot of water that evening, however, or the next day I'll have a headache.

The exception to this is on a big hike day - something in the 20+ mile, 5K' elevation gain range or greater. On those days I need about 50% more calories.

So ... my metabolism sounds much slower than yours.

Do you eat breakfast regularly, and especially on a hiking day? Does it contain protein, like an egg or something similar?

Last edited:
I'm the same way FisherCat, although I think part of it is the fact that physical exertion tends to kill my appetite. I often have to force myself to eat something while on the trail, and so while hiking I probably eat far fewer calories than I should. Once I get done with the hike I'm famished though, and it usually lasts through the following day.

~Mike

Last edited:
Do you eat breakfast regularly, and especially on a hiking day? Does it contain protein, like an egg or something similar?

Yes I do, I usually do it on the drive (whether its for work or a hike) it includes protein and also Cheerios (dry) and fruit. Several years ago I didn't take breakfast but that's a bad habit and I shook it.

I often have to force myself to eat something while on the trail, and so while hiking I probably eat far fewer calories than I should.

^MtnMike^, I definitely had this happen to me 6 years ago when doing the Big W. I got to the top with a killer migraine-like headache and had no idea what it would be like going down. I forced myself to eat though I didn't think I could handle it, and within a half-hour the headache receded and I was fine. That I think was a big warning/reminder to take better care of myself while I hike and have gotten older and to eat while hiking even if I don't feel like I need it.

My joke to my friends is "I hike to burn 2500 calories so I can go home and eat 3000" :D. I am the same as you FC. When I get off trail I am usually looking for whatever is greasy, hot and plentiful to wolf down. ;)

Brian

I believe it, but does it stay that way for like a week, or is it over for you in a couple of days? Sometimes I wonder if its mental, like "oh, I need this, after all I've been hiking...", or is it a physical reflex that just takes over?

Big time. It's a mental struggle not to gain more weight the following week than I might have lost during the hike!

I'm usually absolutely ravenous about 30 minutes after a hike ends and sometimes it rolls into the next day, but that's about it. By Monday, I'm usually back on my regular eating schedule, both in terms of time and in terms of what I eat.

I do eat breakfast every morning, including before a hike. I also usually try to eat a granola bar or something along those line right as the hike starts out so that I'm not starving and bonk half way up to the summit (although that still happens occassionally).

Big time. It's a mental struggle not to gain more weight the following week than I might have lost during the hike!

Perhaps that does have a bit to do with it then, it was only this past Friday (we hiked on the 12th) that I started thinking to myself "gosh,I'm not hiking this week, but I'm eating like it." So either I'm: 1. A glutton 2. Forgetful, or a good seasoning of both.

I will often have a big dinner on Monday, justifying it as "I just had a huge hiking weekend, I can enjoy a few calories." It's when I'm still using this excuse on Thursday that I know I have a problem. :)

My joke to my friends is "I hike to burn 2500 calories so I can go home and eat 3000" :D. I am the same as you FC. When I get off trail I am usually looking for whatever is greasy, hot and plentiful to wolf down. ;)
Brian

While I don't joke about it, this is usually what ends up happening to me... :(

I've been doing a little bit better after having sworn off McDonald's french fries two years ago, but after a coupla days in the backcountry, I could prolly polish off an entire large pizza if left unchecked.

Fortunately, my hiking partners are usually seated next to me to make sure that doesnt' happen. LOL!

I've found that two days after I've hiked are when I'm at my hungriest. And if I've been out several days, the increased appetite lasts that many days. When I'm hiking, I'm not hungry until suddenly I'm starved and can't go another step. When my friend Brian says to me, "okay, how about if we stop in 15 minutes," I've learned to say, "No, now" with a chuckle and smile. :p

Last edited:
I don't want to be tossing too much guuilt on this thread so I have got to say the eating thing is part of the pleasure thing I have about hiking and I enjoy it.

I think about it but not too much. :D

Even guilt should be in moderation. ;)

Last edited:
I don't want to be tossing too much guuilt on this thread so I have got to say the eating thing is part of the pleasure thing I have about hiking and I enjoy it.

I think about it but not too much. :D

Even guilt should be in moderation. ;)

Good formula to live by!
On that particular hike I brought dried blueberries, cranberries, cherries, apple rings, raspberries, crackers, Snickers bar, and I had had some cheese, crackers, and dried meat on the way over. It took us two hours to the top of Garfield, we stayed at the top for over an hour, then it took us two hours down. I also drank a lot of water, but that's the only fluid I bring anyway. We had to keep a good clip going because we went Zip-Ridin' in the afternoon, by the time we rolled into Common Man for dinner it was no-holds-barred.
Since my wife got me hooked on the cheese and crackers, dried meat, etc. for lunch while hiking thing I have really looked foward to eating on the trail more. Before then it was always high-energy & granola bars and the like. After reading these comments I've gained more emphasis for seeing to it I consume food while hiking, instead of always waiting to do it. I think I consume more ascending and at the top, as opposed to descent, where its just as important because the body is tired and still needs the calories.

I REALLY ONLY GET REAL HUNGRY THE NEXT DAY. i DO CONSUME WHILE HIKING ASSENT AND TOP ONLY UNLESS LIKE DOINF ALLEN THIS PAST MONTH WHICH I NEEDED A LITTLE BIT MORE. i HAVE ALSO GONE TO A BLADDER TO SIP WATER ALONG THE WAY AND NOT GULP AT FEW STOPS, SEEMS TO REGULATE MY ENERGY .i FEEL BETTER NOT STUFFING MYSELF ALL AT ONE WITH FOOD AND DRINK AS I WOULD WANT TO TAKE A NAP!!!:D:D

I like to eat PowerBars when on the trails. They stick to my ribs fairly well. After a full day of hiking I have no problem eating 2 or 3 cheeseburgers or an entire pizza. Needless to say a 6 pack of either Tuckerman's or Long Trail Ale accompany the meal.

Last edited:
I'm actually the opposite. I lose my appetite when hiking or doing any other strenuous exercise. I don't even bring food on day hikes any more, just plenty of water with electrolyte mix.

As Kevin Rooney mentioned, I don't think my metabolism is what it used to be.

Half way or 3/4 through a hike I think or talk of dinner (cheeseburgers usually). My snacks aren't very interesting (Powerbars, granola, etc.), so the meal (next) is really important.
Following the evening after my meal, likely high cal, I go back to my normal routine. I'd be a bit blimpy if I didn't.
Guess my hikes make me feel as though I should be rewarded by CHEESEBURGERS!!! Oh, almost forget beer.

DaveG.