Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cog railway closed this winter

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Rooney View Post
    Doug - One of the reasons Castle may not be done too often (other than the obvious long exposure) is that parking is not exactly obvious. I've often worried about blocking access for the folks who live there, or getting plowed in, etc.
    OK. I don't remember any such problems, but it was a long time ago--late 1970's, IIRC.

I do remember that the weather and snow conditions were very nice and we did the hike without undue difficulty.

Doug

Of course the other option is to get a real low snow winter and drive up Jefferson Notch road in early winter, then do it via caps ridge . We did it on the day after New Years with a normal vehicle from the north end and met a group who drove up from the cog end.

I woudl speculate that the Mt Clinton road will be plowed but gated like in the past. Its a lot easier and less expensive to keep a private road open then a public road.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    I woudl speculate that the Mt Clinton road will be plowed but gated like in the past. Its a lot easier and less expensive to keep a private road open then a public road.
    Which road is private? An old friend who retired from NH DOT told me the Mt Clinton Rd is a state road. Am not sure about the Base Station Rd though.

Both roads are state roads, the reference to "private" is intended to describe that keeping the Mt Clinton road gated for use by the cog personel requires a much lower level of maintenance. It only can be one lane, can be icy, may or may not be plowed out the minute a couple of inches piles up. Basically those driving it are aware of the conditions and drive in a manner appropriate to the conditions with equipment appropriate for the conditions. Odds are there wont be photos of subarus and audis perched up on snowbanks which occur when a road is open to the general public.

The prior argument by the state on the base station road was that it was not designed for year round use and that using it year round would cause accelerated damage. This went away when the cog started pushing the ski concept.

Methinks a lot less winter "patches" will be given out next april

Hahahahahaha

Welcome to lions head winter route new peakbaggers!!!!! Brush up on self arrest

Monroe, jefferson and washington just got lots tougher

Quote Originally Posted by giggy View Post
    Welcome to lions head winter route new peakbaggers!!!!! Brush up on self arrest

Monroe, jefferson and washington just got lots tougher
    I don't recall either being that tough before there was access from the Cog. No self arrest or ice axe needed. But the ride to Edmunds was interesting

Quote Originally Posted by giggy View Post
    Methinks a lot less winter "patches" will be given out next april
    If I was REALLY into list laws I'd know this, but: If the road is closed and I get a snowmobile ride to the Cog lot and do a couple peaks via Ammo and Jewell, they don't count ? I'd have to walk or ski the closed road to go up that way and have them count ?
    Dead Last > Did Not Finish > Did Not Start

* ALL STANDARD DISCLAIMERS APPLY: IIRC. YRMV. IMHO. FWIW. HYOH. NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, ARE MADE
    THAT INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS POST IS ACCURATE, RELIABLE OR APPROPRIATE FOR ANY PARTICULAR SITUATION.

Senior Member Kevin, Judy and Emma's Avatar

Correct

From what I understand that is correct. No part of the trip can be by mechanical means, not even a bike.

KDT
    "Use what talents you possess- the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those who sang best."

Henry Jackson Van Dyke

Blairsville GA ......... Avatar-- On top of Starr King Mt.
    Quote Originally Posted by carole View Post
    I don't recall either being that tough before there was access from the Cog. No self arrest or ice axe needed. But the ride to Edmunds was interesting
    Was the road open as far as Edmunds?
    I used to look at my dog and think 'If you were a little smarter you could tell me what your were thinking', and he'd look at me like he was saying 'If you were a little smarter I wouldn't have to'. Fred Jungclaus

Some of our greatest historical and artistic treasures we place with curators in museums; others we take for walks. Roger Caras

100/100 NEHH with Duffy
    48/48 NH 4000 Winter Ed with Duffy and Lauky
    48 X 4 including 1 winter Lauky
    48 X 6 Ed
    12 X 12 Belknaps with Lauky

carol -
    all relative - not "tough" - but tougher than ammo/jewell in winter;

descending lion head winter is much tougher than any other "standard" winter route. At least the ones, I have been on. I haven't done all the "48" in winter - but a good amount of them I have.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    If the road is closed and I get a snowmobile ride to the Cog lot and do a couple peaks via Ammo and Jewell, they don't count?
    Nope, you can't take a snowmobile on a closed road. If a road is closed the trailhead becomes the gate (or where ever you can legally drive to).

I'd have to walk or ski the closed road to go up that way and have them count?
    Yup.
    You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself, any direction you choose. -- Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Rooney View Post
    Doug - One of the reasons Castle may not be done too often (other than the obvious long exposure) is that parking is not exactly obvious. I've often worried about blocking access for the folks who live there, or getting plowed in, etc.
    Like Doug, I've done Castle Trail in winter and had no problem with parking - there was a big swath plowed there. Used same lot to ascend via Israel Ridge. But I agree with KR that Lowes Path may be the easiest in normal snow.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    Of course the other option is to get a real low snow winter and drive up Jefferson Notch road in early winter, then do it via caps ridge
    Yup, done that too :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Ed'n Lauky View Post
    Ed - that one's not easy to answer, as it depends upon which winter you were inquiring. It's been a moving target as to how far, and which road(s) you could drive a vehicle (other than snow mobile) on.

Personally, I'd wait until there's something official. Then, if you want to follow the rules, drive your vehicle as far as it's legal in winter - that becomes the trail head, as Dave Metsky suggests. Nobody checks these things, and it's all on the honor system.

The main thing is - have fun and be safe ... (or not).

After several attempts at Jefferson in winter, I have yet to be successful. In a weird sorta way, I kinda like the fact that it's been my "white whale", but figured the cog running in winter would increase my odds at a future attempt. Oh well ..... It's all good tho ....... if, .... I mean when ..... I finally summit in the winter, it will be that much sweeter.

Anyway, Lowes Path to Gray Knob trail seems like a good option. We tried a different variation on one attempt, but I don't recall the name of the trail after Lowes. Another of our failed attempts was via the Castle Trail. It was well-broken out when we did it, but the weather deteriorated all morning, couldn't see more than 20 or 30 feet, and we turned around by 11am. One of these years .......

Quote Originally Posted by Ed'n Lauky View Post
    In years past, the road was not gated or plowed and you could drive anywhere you dared, I recall driving up the Base Road among snowmobiles in a 2wd van :-)

Then the snowmobile lobby got the rules changed so you couldn't drive it in winter although it was a public road

Then somebody started living at the Base Station year round and they got permission to plow Mt Clinton Rd but to gate it just off 302

You'll just have to wait and see what happens this year