Cog railway closed this winter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jefferson via the Great Gulf is long and exiting the Gulf is steep and likely to be difficult in winter. Six Husbands Tr looks steep enough for there to be an avalanche hazard. I don't think that it is done very often.

Doug[/QUOTE]

6 Husbands used to be a frequent route for winter campers, and often packed down a few weeks after a storm. However, if it isn't, it can be very hard to follow in the woods. As for avalanche danger, it depends on the year. It tends to follow a subtle ridge like the winter Lion Head Trail, and to be broken up into small sections with cliffs in between. I recommend it as a road less travelled.

My winter patch is also slightly longer than the all-season.

- Ivy

That's interesting. As are evilhanz pictures. Mine are the same size. Must have been a shortage of material at the time.

I would speculate that when the commitee runs out of them, they order more from a different vendor and the new version looks a little different. Having past experience dealing with custom patch vendors, they mostly are sourced out of a third world country with low cost labor and adherence to standards is not a major selling point. Generally its the lowest cost. Then mix in that the comittee probably has a couple of people with a stash of patches and its easy to see how there could be variations.

By the way my winter and summer patches were identical.

I discussed the concept of buying some up and having someone with a sewing machine that does patterns, embroider on a snow flake on top of the current patch. This occurred at a past gathering and as usual the best intentions led to nowhere;) (heck we even have a hard time printing up VFTT stickers)