Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cog railway closed this winter

Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    If I was REALLY into list laws
    There are really such things?

I just thought it was a general consensus that was open enough for personal interpitation that it created endless fodden for forum disussions. I know this is heavy on the sarcasum but I would think laws would be quite clear.

Then again if I climbed Washington and got a ride down (which I did) I'd still say I climbed Washington and wouldn't care that much if anyone counted it or not. It counts for me. I'm not hiking for anyone else.
    Peace

"How one parses a question tells you as much about the person as how they answer the question."

Oldee Won Balogeena

Quote Originally Posted by Little Rickie View Post
    I know this is heavy on the sarcasum but I would think laws would be quite clear.
    The AMC 4k Club laws are quite clear in this instance (although excessively vague in others).
    Then again if I climbed Washington and got a ride down (which I did) I'd still say I climbed Washington and wouldn't care that much if anyone counted it or not. It counts for me. I'm not hiking for anyone else.
    I don't know if there is any club for people who just climb the 4000-footers. Since ~1980 the AMC has been a club for those who both climb and descend by foot. Of course you climbed Mt Washington, but you didn't descend by foot which they also require for their particular patch.

Other clubs think even the climbing rule is silly, the State Highpointers allow you to drive or take the Cog up. But many games have silly rules, did you ever play cricket?

So if I want the patch I have to follow the rules and you have to trust me.

I still fun and will probably climb up and down Whashington several times. I'm looking foward to a winter climb. Is there a winter rocker?
    Peace

"How one parses a question tells you as much about the person as how they answer the question."

Oldee Won Balogeena

Quote Originally Posted by Little Rickie View Post
    ... Is there a winter rocker?
    Sorta - the outline of the peaks on the winter patch is done in white. Or maybe it the "AMC" that's in white? In any case, this is what it looks like:

The 46er's have a winter rocker.
    Last edited by Kevin Rooney; 10-22-2008 at 03:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Rooney View Post
    Sorta - the outline of the peaks on the winter patch is done in white. Or maybe it the "AMC" that's in white? In any case, this is what it looks like:

The 46er's have a winter rocker.
    Strange, I recently received my all-season 4000-footer patch and it looks exactly like the one you posted.

What does the other one look like? The AMC sites don't show pictures, that I could find.

Tim
    Bike, Hike, Ski, Sleep. Eat, Fish, Repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by bikehikeskifish View Post
    Strange, I recently received my all-season 4000-footer patch and it looks exactly like the one you posted.

What does the other one look like? The AMC sites don't show pictures, that I could find.

Tim
    The only difference is the "AMC" - red lettering on the all-season and white lettering for winter.

Quote Originally Posted by carole View Post
    The only difference is the "AMC" - red lettering on the all-season and white lettering for winter.
    OK then I do have the red lettering (now that I am home and can see the lettering itself), and therefore the correct patch. For some reason I always thought the snow-capped mountains was the differentiator.

Tim
    Bike, Hike, Ski, Sleep. Eat, Fish, Repeat.

I thought they would be different also, but alas it was not to be. (I like my Belknap Range Hiker patch better )

My winter patch is also slightly longer than the all-season.

- Ivy

They're too similar if you ask me:

All season patch (1 5/8 x 2 1/8)

Winter patch (1 1/2 x 2 9/16)

Jefferson via the Great Gulf is long and exiting the Gulf is steep and likely to be difficult in winter. Six Husbands Tr looks steep enough for there to be an avalanche hazard. I don't think that it is done very often.

Doug[/QUOTE]

6 Husbands used to be a frequent route for winter campers, and often packed down a few weeks after a storm. However, if it isn't, it can be very hard to follow in the woods. As for avalanche danger, it depends on the year. It tends to follow a subtle ridge like the winter Lion Head Trail, and to be broken up into small sections with cliffs in between. I recommend it as a road less travelled.

Quote Originally Posted by poison ivy View Post
    My winter patch is also slightly longer than the all-season.

- Ivy
    That's interesting. As are evilhanz pictures. Mine are the same size. Must have been a shortage of material at the time.

I would speculate that when the commitee runs out of them, they order more from a different vendor and the new version looks a little different. Having past experience dealing with custom patch vendors, they mostly are sourced out of a third world country with low cost labor and adherence to standards is not a major selling point. Generally its the lowest cost. Then mix in that the comittee probably has a couple of people with a stash of patches and its easy to see how there could be variations.

By the way my winter and summer patches were identical.

I discussed the concept of buying some up and having someone with a sewing machine that does patterns, embroider on a snow flake on top of the current patch. This occurred at a past gathering and as usual the best intentions led to nowhere (heck we even have a hard time printing up VFTT stickers)