Alpinist Mag Closes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:(This is too bad. I adore the quality of the photos and the writing.
I hope they can re group in the future.

Too bad. They set the high-water mark in alpine publishing.

The owner (Mark Ewing) is a young internet millionaire who was worth about $100mm several years ago when he started the mag. Alpinist was losing over $1mm/year and was never going to reach sustainability in its' current format - prohibitive price, minimal advertisements, small market, etc. And Ewing had switched passions to sailing during that time frame. And, he's likely $30 - $40mm poorer these days due to the market crash. And many of the stories were reprints (preprints) of AAJ so there was not that much new content.

I subscribed from #1 until just a couple months ago and am glad I did. They will be missed.

Jeff

I'm bummed that I only started reading them/collecting them at #12 and back issues are non-existant because of the fire... and I subscribed to it for the first time a month ago! :( It was the only magazine I ever subscribed to, it was just that good, and I guess the qualities that made it good also helped lead it to it's demise (and the crash too, of course).

They claim to have suspended operations, but they were losing money to begin with at only 9000 subscribers to begin with.

I started collecting about a year or two ago ... came away with two full sets, one to preserve, one to read.

still one can hope they resume operations and grivel parts wont become extinct...cold forged is good stuff

I never fill those out and when I'm forced to, I am a 200 year old Female living in 90210. :D

Jay

Personally I would rather have marketing information targeted at who I am rather that who I am not. If companies know my demographic, they will create product better suited for me and my needs (their profit motive) and leave me alone when not. And, accurate information cuts down on marketing waste - creating less general waste, more sustainable companies and less aggro.

IMHO

Is it possible that websites such as VFTT are filling a need that previously could only be met by magazines? Just wild speculation, but what do you think?

Is it possible that websites such as VFTT are filling a need that previously could only be met by magazines? Just wild speculation, but what do you think?

The big difference I see between Magazines and online forums/blogs/etc is the latter is usually not motivated by profits. That would typically allow for more accurate information, not tainted by manufactures, advertisers, special interests etc wishes/requirements.

My hope is someday mediums such as VFTT will morph into more about substance and safety and less theater. I think some are getting there.

I'm bummed that I only started reading them/collecting them at #12 and back issues are non-existant because of the fire... and I subscribed to it for the first time a month ago! :( It was the only magazine I ever subscribed to, it was just that good, and I guess the qualities that made it good also helped lead it to it's demise (and the crash too, of course).

I subscribed slightly earlier than you started collecting...my sub started at 9. I'll let you read those 3 when you're back....Jen

Going, going, gone?

It is being reported Alpinist has been bought for 70K and the new owners intend to resume the printing.

I wonder if an online specialty magazine, accessed by subscription, would be viable.

Keep your ear to the ground.

I hope they resume printing. It's a great magazine. Awesome photos and terrific in-depth articles. I'm bummed that I never picked up any of the back issues while they were available. They might want to consider increasing their advertising though. I counted only 9 ads in almost 100 pages. Not a bad ratio for the reader but I could have put up with a few more ads if it meant they could turn a profit.

Alpinist Re-launched by Owners of Backcountry, Telemark Skier Magazines

Alpinist Re-launched by Owners of Backcountry, Telemark Skier Magazines

Here is the link to the press release:

http://www.alpinist.com/

Issue 26 comes out on March 1 and they will honor all current subsriptions

Last edited: