DB's #99 of the NE100, Scar Ridge -- 10/18/08

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Double Bow

Reaction score
Ashuelot, NH (anyone know where that is?) Avatar:
A few weeks back while Marty and I were climbing Cupsuptic Snow, we talked about doing Scar Ridge. He told me that Jason Berard would probably be interested in doing it too. Jason and I had been supposed to hike together on a few occasions, but it had never happened, so I welcomed the idea. We planned out when we would do it and though I’ve been under the weather, I never faltered in my plan to do it. As the weekend approached, I found out that Jason is friends with this guy Greg who I also know. We now had a perfect foursome.

We had received good information about the Big Rock route, but since I had done recon on the Looney route, we opted to go that way. Going up the tote road was easy and enjoyable. We got amazing views the whole way. We paused at the tower and caf for a few minutes before continuing on to the north summit. Then we ducked into the woods, wandered around for a little bit, popped back out to the ski slope, went back in, and picked up the herd path.

On this trip, each of us played a certain part. Marty was the navigator, keeping us on track. Jason lead the charge most of the way. I was the scout, offering my recon data and searching out better routes, and Greg was the utility man filling the gaps. Together we made it to the canister without as much fuss as I was anticipating. Sure, there were blowdowns to climb over and/or under, but not as many as I expected and the woods weren’t that thick either. We took a break at the canister. I was so happy to get #99

Heading off again, we started following a herd path that soon petered out. Here though, the woods were fairly open and we were able to make good time. However, Jason, Greg, and Marty kept commenting about how good the going was. I kept telling them to shut up, that they were going to jinx it, and to knock wood. But did they listen? NOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Sure, enough we wound up plowing through the thickest stuff of the day. We couldn’t ever see out feet. Then we went through more of the same while climbing steeply. Finally, Jason had us climb a giant boulder! After that, we soon picked up the original herd path which lead us back to the ski slopes.

Heading back down the tote road we relaxed and had good conversations. In the end, we all had a good time (I think) and felt that we had accomplished something. This was no easy peak to get and I was very thankful to have had such great company for it. Thanks guys!

NOTE: Marty posted a more detailed account in the Train Conditions

Last edited:
Heading off again, we started following a herd path that soon petered out. Here though, the woods were fairly open and we were able to make good time. However, Jason, Greg, and Marty kept commenting about how good the going was. I kept telling them to shut up, that they were going to jinx it, and to knock wood. But did they listen? NOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Sure, enough we wound up plowing through the thickest stuff of the day. We couldn’t ever see out feet. Then we went through more of the same while climbing steeply. Finally, Jason had us climb a giant boulder! After that, we soon picked up the original herd path which lead us back to the ski slopes.

LOL!! Ross, you are absolutely right! We angered the bushwacking gods with our talk of open woods and easy going!:eek: I have learned my lesson!:eek::cool:;)

It was a fun day, and the amazing views and good company more than made up for the nasty thick slow going. That may be the clearest day I've been out for since last September. Good to finally connect for a hike!

Jason,
Never so you won't go again, your showing me how to get there next time!
WSC

or how not to get there!:eek:
I'm still finding spruce needles where spruce needles should never be!

When I disrobed, the floor looked like it does after you take down a dry Christmas tree. There were needles everywhere - in my briefs, in my ears, in my chest hairs and places far worse: :eek::p

People at work have begun to ask if the scar on my forehead means that I am going as Frankenstein for Halloween :eek::eek:

Just glad that puppy is over:)
Marty

P.S. I hope you are feeling better, Ross.

Last edited:
My sympathy to all - I've had 'whacks that have inflicted similar indignities and minor traumas upon my person, but Scar Ridge West was not among them. As I think you all know, there is a magic line from the bend in that bootleg ski trail that takes you right up to the summit - .89 mile - but you need luck to find it and stay on it. A bunch of us had such luck, on a hike on July 7, '07, and as I recall Big Moose did too not long thereafter (installing the canister on his hike).

I first read about that magic line right here, in a brief NH Trail Condition posted by John Swanson the winter before (or was it two winters?). I also got a lot of great advice from Neighbor Dave just by sending him an e-mail, even though I was a stranger to him.

So for me and some others, Scar Ridge West was pretty much a walk up a ski slope and in the woods. The 'whacking gremlins got me back on Fort and one or two others, though, that are generally considered to be cinches.

I had no problems on Fort or Peak Above the Nubble.

This one and Vose Spur are the only ones remember as being especially rough. I definitely got pretty beat up. Besides the needle in my eye, which my companions were instumental in removing, I sustained multiple scrapes and bruises to my thighs. There were a few very near misses that almost ended my family line. :eek:

Thank God my last one has a trail...

Congrats, guys! I read Marty's humorous post under "Trail Conditions" first, wondering what a bushwhack report was doing in that section. I planned to use two movie title metaphors for one of my own trip reports last spring, but never got around to it, so will use here: "There Will Be Blood" and "No Place for Old Men." :D

Congrats, guys! I read Marty's humorous post under "Trail Conditions" first, wondering what a bushwhack report was doing in that section. I planned to use two movie title metaphors for one of my own trip reports last spring, but never got around to it, so will use here: "There Will Be Blood" and "No Place for Old Men." :D

Oh, there is now a trail up to W. Scar, a trail of our blood ;) (stealing from your movie metaphor) :)