Pondicherry refuge via Cohos tr from Cherry Mtn lot

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nartreb

Reaction score
Beginning of trail was confusing:

(Edit: looks like this section of the Cohos is officially closed.)

Directly across the road from the parking lot is a gravel driveway; within a few feet the driveway turns to grass as the original gravel path turns sharp right and immediately becomes completely overgrown. The trail follows the original gravel road parallel to the highway, among ever-fainter, branching tracks, and continues past a couple of yellow-tipped metal poles to a stream crossing below the highway.

A simpler expedient is to stay up on the embankment (above the wire fence), following the road east until you hear a stream below you. Look for the stream and you'll spot a cohos trail sign. There's a gap in the fence directly above the sign.

The trail then heads north along the stream (past the remains of an Oldsmobile that I guess dates from the 1940s) into a boggy area (lots of beaver activity has raised the water level). Waterproof boots would be helpful here. There are blazes, old plank bridges, and other signs of use; when in doubt just head straight north.

Once you cross the power lines the trail turns west onto an old railway, and your navigation problems are over.

Coming back in the dark I lost the trail in the boggy area, but compass bushwhacking was no problem (I came out a bit further east, on higher, drier ground. If I were laying this trail I'd move it there.)

Last edited: