Snowstorm tomorrow night! (Not only mountains)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The models flipped and brought the low right over VT. Now even towns near the Adirondacks have 12-24 inches..in october. The Whites and Greens will still get 4-8 inches though. -Mattl

Your positive mental energy is contagious:D

Haven't looked at a lot yet...but the rain will come in waves today, and eventually change over to snow in the Green Mtns, and then eventually the Whites and over to Maine, but not till later. Even Mt Washington is 34 degrees right now. Winds will be gusty in the 20-30 mph range later, with possible higher gusts. Probably a blessing in disguise that the majority doesn't see heavy snow, because that spells power outages.

There is a winter weather advisory for northern VT, for 3-7 inches, most at higher elevations, and a most along the western spine of the Greens. The whites will get their snow soon, just not the crushing amounts that might happen in NY.

Salt in the wound for me...its mixing and changing to snow down in New Jersey. :rolleyes:

grouseking

Thanks for the warning mattl; you are the MAN! Keep up the good work! We were going to hike Wednesday until we read your warning! Not sure Wednesday will be the coldest day of the year though; we froze our butts off in February?

You're right when you say it's not a day to hike above treeline! NOAA predicts clouds!

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?site=gyx&FcstType=text&site=GYX&map.x=117&map.y=151

Wednesday: Cloudy, with a high near 40. West wind around 17 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.

It's snowing in albany, much earlier than they predicted. They might have underestimated this one.

Anyone high pointers who want some snow should go to High Point, NJ. They picked up 8.8 inches of snow already today!

Can we put dates on these thread titles? :eek:

I was skeptical before about real big snows, but well, I'm glad to be wrong in this direction, though I wish I were in the Dacks (with a backup source of heat and light!). Big band setting up for a while right over and just west of the High Peaks area, down to west of Gore Mtn. I would like to be around Indian Lake. Yum! The eastern 3/4 of New England is enjoying low barometric pressures, but little else... hate those "dry slots".

Weatherman

The eastern 3/4 of New England is enjoying low barometric pressures, but little else... hate those "dry slots".
Weatherman

My surveying altimeter indicated a 600 ft increase in "elevation" over the past 12 hours, and my barograph shows almost an inch drop in Hg; pretty impressive, as none of the tropical storms that passed nearby over the past few months topped that, in my recollection.

Ain't got no snow here in Tamworth as of now, thank gosh.

I remember when I was moving from Southern CT to MAINE (wuhooo!!!) back in late September 1987: an early blizzard hit western Mass and central Hudson area of NY. The Mass Pike was stopped, heading west to Stockton and the Albany connector. Deciduous tree limbs were snapped off along the drive.

Hope this event is much prettier and less damaging.

I remember when I was moving from Southern CT to MAINE (wuhooo!!!) back in late September 1987: an early blizzard hit western Mass and central Hudson area of NY. The Mass Pike was stopped, heading west to Stockton and the Albany connector. Deciduous tree limbs were snapped off along the drive.

Hope this event is much prettier and less damaging.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/er/aly/Past/1987_Oct/Oct_4_1987.htm I think you may be referring to this storm.

Well, we got our first flakes this evening, around 11pm. There was even a small, slushy coating on the cars, but the ground is way too warm.

Jackpot snow amounts that I can find....these will prob go up tomorrow..

NY- Slide Mtn, 20 inches

Also, up to 16 inches in Schoharie county, NY. I think that would be up in the Helderburgs...

NJ- I saw a 14 inch amount at High Point.

It also snowed all the way down to Philly, and Atlantic City, where they each recorded a trace.

Plus, there was snow in the mtns all the way down into North Carolina.

Winter has started a bit early in some areas.

grouseking

Still ain't got no snow here in Tamworth this morning, golly gee wilikers.

Thin coating on the grass at 1500 feet in Waterville Valley, maybe a touch more up on Tecumseh -- but not a huge dump by any stretch.

Forecast is for more flurries and mixed precip showers later today, but right now it is overcast and breezy.

Stupid westward storm, ended up being a major bust for anywhere east of Vermont. Even VT didn't do that well, 20 inches in towns in NY..-Mattl