Liberty and Flume via Liberty Spring Trail and Franconia Ridge

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grumpygran

Reaction score
October 27th 2008

Trail conditions: As a result of the heavy rain on Saturday night most of the Liberty Spring Trail is wet, with a few dry stretches. Water runs down the trail for long periods and rock hopping is the game of the day. From the campsite up the trails are in good condition though you can see the effects of the heavy rain nearer to Mt. Flume where scree and small rocks have been washed down and around.

Equipment needed: Other than poles for the wet spots nothing else needed.

Comments: The past few times I have done Liberty and Flume I have come in from the Osseo trail and gone out over the Libery Spring Trail so it was a novelty to go up the Liberty Spring Trail today. I'd forgotten how long and steep it is going up to the campsite! And then that long down on the way to Flume! I'm geting old and my memory is slipping! But the weather was great. We had wonderful views from Liberty, some high clouds eating lunch on Flume and looked into a bank of grey sky over the Kinsmans on the way down. For Bert it finished his second round of the 48 and for Finn and me it was a great day to be out, maybe my last big hike for the year as I am not a winter hiker!

Grumpygran