Southern Ossipees (NH) Traverse, 11/15/08

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sheesh, the Ossipees get the short end of the stick! :)

I'm actually bummed to be missing the Ossipees! When MJ and I were driving to a beautiful wedding at Castle in the Clouds this past October ;) I kept admiring the ridgeline of the Ossipees and drooling over a long traverse there...alas...there's talk of an adventuruous lass that hangs out around here sometimes finishing the NH48 that same day...:cool:

I'm actually bummed to be missing the Ossipees! When MJ and I were driving to a beautiful wedding at Castle in the Clouds this past October ;) I kept admiring the ridgeline of the Ossipees and drooling over a long traverse there...alas...there's talk of an adventuruous lass that hangs out around here sometimes finishing the NH48 that same day...:cool:

Excuses, excuses. People finish their 48 all the time. An exclusive Southern Ossipee Traverse is only once in a lifetime.

Count me in

I'm definitely interested. I've been wanting to hike Ossippees for some time and it would be good to do with people who know it well. I think the range would be fun to snowshoe and it'd be nice to visit first without snow first. I'll bring along a copy of the geology field trip guide.

This sounds like a great adventure. I have been up Mt. Roberts in the winter, but would love to see other parts of the Ossipee range. Put me on the list. We may need a school bus for a shuttle at this rate!!:)

Last edited:
After some consultation, I've posted an 8:00 start time (departure from McDuffee Road to the trailhead).

Also, if the weather is bad, a possible rain date might be Sunday the 16th.

--Update, due to the weather forecast, the hike is now planned for Sunday the 16th--

Last edited:
Hey Jeremy

it looks more and more like I will be probably be able to make this hike

I"m good unless it is pouring so please keep me in the loop

I"m good unless it is pouring so please keep me in the loop

You mean keep you in the traverse :)

We're watching the weather right now and will perhaps do a roll call of sorts the middle of this week once we have better confidence in the forecast. Things look to be stablizing a bit during the week, but junk returning Thursday night.

Update
Here's a map of the planned route for Sunday:
ossipeetraverse20081115.jpg

We're planning on parking at the McDuffee-Canaan Road junction, and then leaving there at 8:00 AM Sunday to go to the Terrace Pines campground (Sentinel Mountain Trail trailhead).

To get to the McDuffee-Canaan Road junction, take Route 171 North from Tuftonboro. Canaan Road will be on the right on a downhill section of 171 (there will also be a Camp Merrowvista sign). Canaan Road will at first be paved, then dirt. McDuffee Road is about 3-5 minutes from Route 171, and the junction is pretty easily found (by both road sign, and by the large, recently logged field full of tree stumps).

The hike could be cancelled under the following circumstances:
- Significant snowfall or ice storm (not overly likely at this point), which would make the Gorilla Trail tough...the route would likely be changed if this were the case.
- Bad weather on Sunday (if the forecast takes a dive between now and Saturday).
- Unannounced 24-hour marathon of Archie Bunker's Place on TV Land (I've only seen three episodes, so I have a lot of catching up to do...but not overly likely at this point).

Last edited:
I am in for sure, and will be riding with Kevin, Judy and Emma.

However, the rain looks increasingly likely for this hike. Don't know how that will impact the plans...

However, the rain looks increasingly likely for this hike. Don't know how that will impact the plans...

We've been watching the forecast pretty closely...unless it improves by tomorrow, I think we may postpone to Sunday the 16th. I'll post by mid day tomorrow (Thursday) if that's the case.

Fair-weather hiker alert.
I would be very interested in doing it on a good day. Unfortunately, Sunday doesn't look to be a winner, either, at this point.

We've decided to postpone this hike until Sunday.

I've been watching 4 (some related) forecasts - MWO, Wunderground, Weather.com, and NOAA - all of them agree at this point that Saturday will be rain. MWO and NOAA say a chance of showers Sunday, otherwise mostly cloudy, while Wunderground and Weather.com say that Sunday will start cloudy with a clearing trend to partly sunny. If there is a passing sprinkle or two, I don't foresee it as a problem, but if the forecast shifts between now and Saturday, showing Sunday as a washout, we'll probably cancel and figure out something for the near future.

Just to reassure folks, this hike is scheduled for Sunday, rain or shine. If the weather becomes vexing to some, there are multiple bailouts along the way, including the from the Merrowvista Ledges, Mt. Flagg, and Mt. Shaw. The forecasts are still looking better on Sunday than tomorrow, so it should be hopefully decent. Some forecasts are showing it being soggy at first, then gradually improving.

We intend to depart from the meeting spot (McDuffee Road junction) to the start of the hike (Terrace Pines/Sentinel Mountain) at 8:00, so if you can give yourself a few extra minutes to get there a bit before 8, it will be greatly appreciated by the folks who intend to do a longer variation of the hike.

Don't forget bright colors!

Just to reassure folks, this hike is scheduled for Sunday, rain or shine. If the weather becomes vexing to some, there are multiple bailouts along the way, including the from the Merrowvista Ledges, Mt. Flagg, and Mt. Shaw. The forecasts are still looking better on Sunday than tomorrow, so it should be hopefully decent. Some forecasts are showing it being soggy at first, then gradually improving.

We intend to depart from the meeting spot (McDuffee Road junction) to the start of the hike (Terrace Pines/Sentinel Mountain) at 8:00, so if you can give yourself a few extra minutes to get there a bit before 8, it will be greatly appreciated by the folks who intend to do a longer variation of the hike.

Don't forget bright colors!
What town is this?