Thread: Snow Pics from High Point NJ

Snow Pics from High Point NJ

Here are some shots I took yesterday. No snow melted higher up today. Pictures are from Stokes and High Point in NJ. Got my first snowshoe in for the season and going XC skiing this AM
    Sunrise Mt rd

From Sunrise rd looking out at High Point (came blurry)

My way up to sunrise Mt, Farthest I got without snowshoes Its a paved rd

High Point from Lake Marcia

Top of High Point looking North (snow showers in dist)

Top of HP looking South (lake Marcia, wind swept summit)

Walking up to HP summit

Pic table

Looking at ridge top from Sawmill Lake/camping area

I like this one notice in the Valley (Wantage lower down is all green and top of Wantage at High Pt summit 14 inches)
    In the distance white lines is Mt Creek ski area/Wawayanda Mt

I love it. Foliage and snow is perfect. Too bad the sun wasn't out just a little bit more.

grouseking

Nice pics, Shawn!

We got very little snow here in Blairstown, but I can see the ridge (Appalachian Trail on Kittatinny Ridge) and it looks white. Probably 6" up there.

Hey, I should be posting snow pics before New Jersey!

Thanks for posting them, I'm jealous!

I got my first XC ski in for the season. First time I skied with leaves on the trees, strange feeling

Thanks for posting these pics. Does Lake Marcia usually freeze in the winter sufficiently to support humans using a sediment coring system (i.e., 4+ ice thickness)?

Nice! I'm going to have to head out to the Kittatinny Ridge this weekend! Woohoo!
    Any person who climbs just one of the 46 Adirondack high peaks comes down with a curious malady. It's called summit madness. The only known cure is to climb the other 45.

New Jersey 1K Club
    My Climb List

Avatar-Keaton (4) & Dad enjoying the snow on Wachusett Greenway
    That is soo cool. We had 3" in Bridgewater. My Coworkers were stunned. Started talking about closing roads and taking kids outta school. I just smiled.....
    Rick

Ulster County, NY Avatar: Chapel Pond From Giant Mt.
    Great pictures. Nice that Jersey got early snow. Kinda like an underdog team winning the World Series or something.

Matt
    "...a man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone." - Henry David Thoreau

South Metro Denver Avatar: Basin Ponds Bullwinkle
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dasypodidae View Post
    Thanks for posting these pics. Does Lake Marcia usually freeze in the winter sufficiently to support humans using a sediment coring system (i.e., 4+ ice thickness)?
    I dislocated my shoulder on Lake Marcia about 10 years ago in February, skating really, really fast on probably a foot or more of perfect ice - except for that big crack I hit - best natural ice I've ever skated on. The ED doc moonlighting in Sussex was probably half my size - trying to reduce it was, well, interesting.
    --would rather be hiking than typing.

As far as Lake Marcia and skating, it would make a great place but the last few winters it's been very dicey by me in NJ. I'm about 30 miles southeast of High Point and there have been a few winters where the lake near me hasn't even frozen over and places that have are barely frozen over. The winter before last, I remember seeing bare water in parts of the local reservoir in late February.

Although with the storms and them being on the western parts of the highlands, they do get the storms that move from the SE and head towards Monticello.

Jay
    You must go and you must ramble
    Through every briar and bramble
    Till your life is in a shambles
    Maybe then you will know
    -"You Must Go" - John Hiatt

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dasypodidae View Post
    Lake Marcia, Steenykill and Sawmill lakes in High Point all freeze over every winter enought to support ice fisherman. Even our worst winters they freeze over enough to stand on Even last winter all the lakes froze over from dec until march. It actually was a great year for it. Then yet up this way we had an average winter while the rest of NJ was below average.
    Last edited by snowshoe; 11-01-2008 at 02:58 PM.