Snow Pics from High Point NJ

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowshoe

Reaction score
Here are some shots I took yesterday. No snow melted higher up today. Pictures are from Stokes and High Point in NJ. Got my first snowshoe in for the season and going XC skiing this AM
Sunrise Mt rd
1108ynn.jpg

From Sunrise rd looking out at High Point (came blurry)
2yullpy.jpg

My way up to sunrise Mt, Farthest I got without snowshoes Its a paved rd
w98v95.jpg

High Point from Lake Marcia
9lfl94.jpg

Top of High Point looking North (snow showers in dist)
11lixe8.jpg

Top of HP looking South (lake Marcia, wind swept summit)
218r39.jpg

Walking up to HP summit
2dt3iv8.jpg

Pic table
e00u4w.jpg

Looking at ridge top from Sawmill Lake/camping area
w7hu05.jpg

I like this one notice in the Valley (Wantage lower down is all green and top of Wantage at High Pt summit 14 inches)
In the distance white lines is Mt Creek ski area/Wawayanda Mt
qrdmar.jpg

Nice pics, Shawn!

We got very little snow here in Blairstown, but I can see the ridge (Appalachian Trail on Kittatinny Ridge) and it looks white. Probably 6" up there.

Thanks for posting these pics. Does Lake Marcia usually freeze in the winter sufficiently to support humans using a sediment coring system (i.e., 4+ ice thickness)?

I dislocated my shoulder on Lake Marcia about 10 years ago in February, skating really, really fast on probably a foot or more of perfect ice - except for that big crack I hit :(- best natural ice I've ever skated on.:) The ED doc moonlighting in Sussex was probably half my size - trying to reduce it was, well, interesting.

As far as Lake Marcia and skating, it would make a great place but the last few winters it's been very dicey by me in NJ. I'm about 30 miles southeast of High Point and there have been a few winters where the lake near me hasn't even frozen over and places that have are barely frozen over. The winter before last, I remember seeing bare water in parts of the local reservoir in late February.

Although with the storms and them being on the western parts of the highlands, they do get the storms that move from the SE and head towards Monticello. :)

Jay

Thanks for posting these pics. Does Lake Marcia usually freeze in the winter sufficiently to support humans using a sediment coring system (i.e., 4+ ice thickness)?

Lake Marcia, Steenykill and Sawmill lakes in High Point all freeze over every winter enought to support ice fisherman. Even our worst winters they freeze over enough to stand on Even last winter all the lakes froze over from dec until march. It actually was a great year for it. Then yet up this way we had an average winter while the rest of NJ was below average.

Last edited: