Nothing Spectacular, Just Something Different for a “Snizzling” Day (30-Oct-2008)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1HappyHiker

Reaction score
At my home “above the notch” it was overcast with off and on “snizzling” (a mixture of snow flurries & drizzling rain). Others feel differently, but for me, it’s not worth it to hike to a summit on a day such as this. For this type of weather, I’d simply prefer to do a low-elevation hike to someplace like a waterfall, or a pond or through a notch, etc.

In years past, one of my favorites for a “snizzling” day was to do a long hike along the Dry River Trail beyond the suspension bridge that spans the Dry River. But lately, this has not been an option since the suspension bridge is out of commission, and fording the river at this time of year is risky (to say the least!). So, in view of these river crossing issues, an idea occurred to me. At the point where the trail normally crosses to the east side of the Dry River via the suspension bridge, why not just stay on the west side of the river?

On the west side of the river, it’s sort of a cross between a bushwhack and a herd path. Someone with a better knowledge of history can correct me on this, but I think that long stretches along the west side of the river were used in the late 1800’s by a logging railroad, and parts of this old rail bed were once part of the Dry River Trail before it was relocated to its present location on the east side of the river (beyond the suspension bridge).

Anyway, enough about history and my personal preferences! On the west side of the river (about a half mile from the suspension bridge) is a slide that provides sort of a unique southeasterly view down the Dry River valley toward Crawford Notch in the general vicinity of Mt. Bemis. It barely qualifies as a destination, but as you might have guessed by now, hiking to that slide is what I ended up doing on this “snizzling” day! Nothing spectacular, just something different!

Below is a photo taken from a point about mid way up the slide, plus a photo looking up the slide from a point near where the slide meets the Dry River.
VuFromDryRvrSlide.JPG

DryRvrSlide.JPG

1HappyHiker

Last edited:
Below is a photo taken from a point about mid way up the slide, plus a photo looking up the slide from a point near where the slide meets the Dry River.
1HappyHiker

Wait, is that all? a sudden end at that point on the slide???? No more trail report?? I don't get it, where's the SNIZZLE????:confused:

If I recall correctly the slide came right after a steep rocky braided brook. According to my USGS map you still had 1/2 mile to go to reach the Mt Clinton Trail. There was a stream terrace that started and stopped. When I was up there I went a bit further. I think the terrace might have resumed once more and petered out when the side-slope took over. That's when I bailed. I think it continues like that up the valley alternating between terrace and steeps. I'll go back out next spring hopefully when they're working on the bridge. I'd really like to repeat your trip up to Mt Davis.

Thanks for the pics. "Snizzle" - a friend of mine calls it snice ("snow and ice" - pronounced by him as "snish", "snishing").

I'm with Jazzbo - looking to replicate your Mt. Davis trip.

Thanks.

If I recall correctly the slide came right after a steep rocky braided brook. According to my USGS map you still had 1/2 mile to go to reach the Mt Clinton Trail. There was a stream terrace that started and stopped. When I was up there I went a bit further. I think the terrace might have resumed once more and petered out when the side-slope took over. That's when I bailed. I think it continues like that up the valley alternating between terrace and steeps. I'll go back out next spring hopefully when they're working on the bridge. I'd really like to repeat your trip up to Mt Davis.
Yup Ray, you’re 100% correct. The slide is not too far beyond the “rocky braided brook” that you mention. And you’re also correct that as you go up the valley, the west bank of the river alternates between terrace and steeps. Someone please correct me on this. But, as I understand it, the old railroad (as well as the old Dry River Trail) crossed & re-crossed the river several times to take advantage of the terraces and avoid the steeps. If you go to the UNH historic maps website, you can look at the historic map (1896 NE corner) that shows the route of the old railroad (click HERE for a link to that map).

On another trek, I went beyond the slide, but have not gone as far as the Mt. Clinton Trail. However, speaking of the Mt. Clinton Trail, this past summer I met two hikers near the Rt. 302 trailhead for the Dry River Trail. They said they had just come down the west bank of the river from the Mt. Clinton Trail. They felt it was less trouble coming via that route than having to cross the Dry River twice. Dunno, have to take them at their word!

Thanks for pointing out the old map

Thanks for pointing out the old map. While I look at UNH Historic maps all the time, it never occurred to me to look up the old map for this region. It explains alot of questions I had. For example it indicates the RR continued to run along north bank of DR past current DR suspension bridge. That's what it looked like to me when I went through there. Somehow they were able to make it by the braided stream and slide to the next terrace because I thought I detected the RR bed after the slide.

The FS Decision Memo about the bridge replacement project mentions the original DR trail followed the RR route, but back in 1970's 2 hikers drowned crossing the river and decision was made to reduce the number of crossings and that's probably when this bridge was built. It looks to be about 30 years old.

I'll try to remember cgarby when I return to area to bag Davis. All I need to do is Search for "Snizzle".

Certainly beats working..I enjoy being outside on those snizzley days..that's what the gear is for..

we got poured on for a bit on Crawford Ridgepole the other day..the reward was ability to test gear as well as occaisional views through the cliouds...

Repeated your stroll to the slide and return on Nov.1. Thanks for the suggestion. Those steeper slopes must have been slippery with a dusting. No snow on Sat.

Repeated your stroll to the slide and return on Nov.1. Thanks for the suggestion. Those steeper slopes must have been slippery with a dusting. No snow on Sat.
Hey Grayjay . . . happy to hear that you enjoyed the stroll to the slide! Also happy to hear that traction was not an issue on your Saturday hike, especially since I neglected to mention that I used Stabilicers to cope with the light skim of snow/ice on the steep side-hill portion when I was there!