10 Point Step-In Crampon

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wromanow

Reaction score
I just purchased a new pair of La Sportiva Nuptse boot for the upcoming winter. I am looking to upgrade to a step-in crampon for convenience. Can anyone recommend a 10 point step-in crampon? I see Black Diamond offers an aluminum version, but I am hesitant to purchase aluminum due to possible durability issues.

Assuming you're looking for a general mountaineering 'pon (i.e., horizontal frontpoints), then you could look at the Petzl Irvis, Black Diamond Neve or Grivel G10. (More than durability issues, I'd be wary of aluminum 'pons because they're harder to [impossible to?] re-sharpen, unlike the steel versions.)

Personally I have a pair of Petzl Irvis 'pons which work fine. Haven't used any others yet, but I doubt you could go wrong with any of the major brands.

If you can, bring the bootz in to a retailer to see if your prospective 'pons fit the boot well. If you're into online purchasing, you can check over at SummitPost or RC.com to see if there are any boot/crampon issues with the one's you're looking at. Just type "Nuptse" and "crampon" in the search box...

I just purchased a new pair of La Sportiva Nuptse boot for the upcoming winter. I am looking to upgrade to a step-in crampon for convenience. Can anyone recommend a 10 point step-in crampon? I see Black Diamond offers an aluminum version, but I am hesitant to purchase aluminum due to possible durability issues.
Since the goal is convenience, then focus on the binding itself. For example, look at Grivel's Synoptc Table, click on the G10 Model, and then look at each of the attachment systems within that model. That will give you a good idea of what type of attachment will work on a rigid boot. In their line, the Cramp-o-Matic and the New-Matic are similar bindings in terms of speed and convenience. I don't personally know of other brands who provide the same degree of versatility within each model line, but I haven't looked recently either.

But keep in mind Grivel's will be hard to find, since they've closed their North American operations...you may be able to find some good sales, though.

Any one of these will get you there and back. :)
Craig - Keep in mind she's looking for step-ins, not strap-ons. The difference is in the binding system. (And don't you just love the word "system"? We don't have water bottles, we have "hydration systems". Not a blanket or sleeping bag, but "sleep systems" ...)

The Nuptse is a nice boot. Instead of 10-point crampons, I would recommend a 12-point crampon that is a little more aggressive and versatile. From the companies that have already been mentioned, the Grivel G12, Petzl Vasak or Sarken, or the BD Sabretooths are all nice choices for general mountaineering while possessing the ability to do some vertical front pointing. With the Nuptse boots, I think you'll find that you'll want to push the limits a little more, and the 12-point crampons will do the trick. The above crampons are all available in a variety of binding systems including step-ins for the boots for both heel and toe welts or bindings for boots with just heel welts. I have the Grivel G12s and highly recommend them. Petzl also has several options than the classic heel lever that you might want to check out.

Aviarome

10 Point Crampon

I just purchased a pair of Grivel 10 Point Cramp-o-Matics on sale to fit onto my size 12.5" mountaineering boot. I now have a quick question about the extender bar and flexibility of the crampon.

As seen in a previous post by Darwin in Feb 06 there is a little tab on the extender bar that did not allow the bar to be inserted into both slots of the crampon (front underside). I could insert the bar into the back slot, which made the crampon flexible. I ended up crimping the tab down, which allowed the bar to pass through both slots, making the crampon rigid.

My question is with a rigid boot what is the proper slot position of the extender bar, both slots and rigid or rear slot and flexible?