Microspikes/Stabilicers

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HikingBryan

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I've got the day off Tuesday and want to get out for a hike. Reading the trail reports, it seems that traction is necessary, but full 12 points are overkill.

That said, I was thinking about getting a pair of microspikes. Does anyone know where I can get a pair before Tuesday early AM? I'm just north of Boston, and will be heading up 93 to Liberty and Flume Tuesday morning.

Any help?

Thanks,

Bryan

Hey Guys,

I've got the day off Tuesday and want to get out for a hike. Reading the trail reports, it seems that traction is necessary, but full 12 points are overkill.

That said, I was thinking about getting a pair of microspikes. Does anyone know where I can get a pair before Tuesday early AM? I'm just north of Boston, and will be heading up 93 to Liberty and Flume Tuesday morning.

Any help?

Thanks,

Bryan

Bryan, I don't know your area, but EMS is currently selling Microspikes for 15% off.

Interesting... I've looked at my local REI, but it seems they don't stock them at the store, only online...

I'll try to convince a friend to check at EMS tomorrow for me. That would be the easiest option...

I had to order mine online from REI. I know you need them quick, but shipping was free when picked up in-store. You would figure a specialty store like REI in the Northeast would stock a product like microspikes...hmmm...

I was surprised when I saw they didn't stock them at the store... They have a good selection of crampons, but little to no light traction.

Go figure?

Finding Microspikes

Hi Bryan,
I live south of Boston and was looking for a pair a few weeks ago. I called all the REI stores, plus EMS stores near me, and no one had any. I finallyordered a pair online from REI. You might want to try calling EMS in Concord, NH which is right on the way, since you're hiking in 2 days.
Julie

You can also find them at many park stores and lodges. For example, the last time I was at Monadnock, they had them at the park store. Also I saw them at the AMC lodge at Cardigan.

For sure, there are many situations where MICROspikes, are just fine. However, I cannot help but recall encountering a group of about 5 or 6 hikers last winter who were attempting to make it up the steep section of the Avalon Trail when it was particularly icy. They were struggling with traction. While talking with them, they volunteered that they were all wearing Kahtoola MICROspikes. I was wearing the Kahtoola KTS steel crampon and was not experiencing any traction issues.

Add me to the list of those who tried unsuccessfully to find Microspikes in an actual bricks-and-mortar store. Both REI (Reading) and EMS (Peabody) did not have them; both steered me to their company's websites. Interestingly, the clerks in both stores told me they had a lot of requests for them. I clearly do not understand modern retailing.

FWIW Hilton's Tent City also does not carry them. However I did see an ample supply at the Highland Center in Crawford Notch.

EMS in North Conway has a good supply of them (of course that's a bit out of the way for Franconia, but perhaps some of the other NH locations have them as well).

They were a perfect piece of equipment to have on the Monroe Trail (Camel's Hump) today. When you need crampons--you need crampons. Crampons would have been way too much today.

Tim

Thank you ! Thank you!

After reading a recent tread on light crampons, some mentioned about the microspilkes. After loosing 2 pairs of yak track last year, I got myself a pair of microspikes last week (easy to get in Montreal, either at MEC or Sail). They were PERFECT on Algonquin on Saturday. They are light, they stay at the right place on your feet, they give just enough traction, they are great!

ps they sure don't replace crampons when these are needed but with this week end conditions, they were exactly what I needed!

Did I say Thank You!!!!!

Suzanne

I got some Katoolah microspikes from zappos online, and they arrived within 24 hours. This was last year. Just a thought.

I bought a pair of Kahtoola microspikes last week through an online special at EMS (with in-store pickup) and wore them on a Kinsman hike Saturday. They were wonderful. My friend had Stabilicers and they seemed to work well, too. I think one of the tricks early in the season is to feel secure that they'll do their job. The Kahtoola's were very stable on my boots and didn't slip around at all, as opposed to someone we met who was wearing yaxtrax. Also, the spikes on the Kahtoola's aren't so big to walk on that they feel awkward when the ground is momentarily bare or on ledge.