Research for a book

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shincracker

Reaction score
If this thread is too commercial, ignore it. I am working on a book that will be called called "New Hampshire Roadside Viewing Guide" styled the same way as that White Mountain Viewing Guide.

There are a considerable number of views from the side of the road where we look out into the distance and cannot identify the mountains, lakes and towns that we see.

If you have any favorite views that you would like to see in the book, let me know. These views cannot be from private property unless the landowner gives permission for the public to visit the site. "Semi-private" property is OK such as an Inn or golf course that caters to the public. In such a case, the view would generally be from the parking lot. But there are excellent views from country lanes all over the state of New Hampshire that I don't know about. I am also using views from outside the state that look towards New Hampshire. I would prefer each view to scan at least 45 degrees of the horizon.

I do know about the wonderful vistas visible from the Kancamagus Highway and Bear Notch Road. But any that you can add to that would be helpful.

Thanks

Shincracker (named after a hill in southern Vermont)

If this thread is too commercial, ignore it. I am working on a book that will be called called "New Hampshire Roadside Viewing Guide" styled the same way as that White Mountain Viewing Guide.

There are a considerable number of views from the side of the road where we look out into the distance and cannot identify the mountains, lakes and towns that we see.

If you have any favorite views that you would like to see in the book, let me know. These views cannot be from private property unless the landowner gives permission for the public to visit the site. "Semi-private" property is OK such as an Inn or golf course that caters to the public. In such a case, the view would generally be from the parking lot. But there are excellent views from country lanes all over the state of New Hampshire that I don't know about. I am also using views from outside the state that look towards New Hampshire. I would prefer each view to scan at least 45 degrees of the horizon.

I do know about the wonderful vistas visible from the Kancamagus Highway and Bear Notch Road. But any that you can add to that would be helpful.

Thanks

Shincracker (named after a hill in southern Vermont)
What about drivable logging roads open to the public?

How about the rest area on I-89 northbound near exit 13? The view used to be better before they rebuilt it, but it's still pretty good. Other than Mt Sunapee, I have no idea what anything else is.

Another one that is a little outside of what you're looking for would be the overlook on Rt 9 on Hogback in Vermont. You must be able to see into NH from there, right?

Heading north on 118 as you are coming around the shoulder on Moosialuke, you get a spectacular view stretching northeast to southeast. It is especially awe-inspiring at sunrise.
The are some great views in the Lancaster/Lunenburg area looking south to the Northern Presi's.

Some of the best views of New Hampshire are in Vermont, though....

I 91 near Wells River looking east towards Franconia Notch.
Also, North Danville, Vt. at the Great Corn Maze( he builds view bridges into the maze to allow folks to see the amazing views:cool:), looking at nearly all the White Mountains from Madison to Moosilauke. By far the best view I've had of the Whites without being on another mountain top.

Excellent Q - I'll have to give this some thought. I'm sure you've already got the obvious "labeled" road-side outlooks not on the Kanc, such as "Intervale" near Hurricane Mtn. Road north of No. Conway and in Crawford and Evans Notches.

Good to see you posting again!

Heading west downhill on Rt 2 in Randolph, with Madison and Adams in front of you.

There is a spot on 115 near Mt. Martha that has a pull out with a nice expansive view out to the west. And while the views are not "expansive" there is a spot on 115a that affords a STUNNING view of the Northern Presis that is a MUST SEE for anyone at any time of the year.

Brian

Edit: As a matter of fact I managed to find an old photo of the view off 115a:

prezziesnowcap2resize0ou.jpg

Last edited:
After the mods talked about this, we decided to reopen the thread. That this information is going into a planned book puts us in a bit of a dilemma. The book will be of great use to members but we're conflicted about VFTT being used as a vehicle to obtains info for a book. Since the original poster was upfront as to the info being used this way we feel that it benefits the greater good. Pls bear in mind that info here is not subject to copywrite. That has to be done off the board by the author or publisher.

Good call! I'll add another well-known view, but it may be more "road" than "road-side." Heading north on Route 16, in No. Wakefield a little before Ossipee, you crest a hill right after Won-Ton's, a rambling Chinese restaurant on the right. On a clear day, you're gazing at a magnificent panorama of the Presidential Range, in front of which, in serried ranks, are the intermediate ranges.

I've been admiring this mainly as a passenger (keep my eye on the road when driving) for 20 years, but have not thought about whether there is a safe place to pull over.

A pyramid-like peak to the north from somewhere along 93 northbound.

I realize that’s not very descriptive. The viewpoint may be near Thornton.

I assume the peak is Liberty, but it seems to be standing out by itself, so I don’t know.

I’m also fond of the southbound view of that multi-humped mountain in or near the experimental forest. Just north of Mirror Lake, maybe.

This is of great interest to me as that is one of the things I collect – views. Having the advantage of cruising the state (and beyond) on a motorcycle is helpful. So many places to list!!
Some are easily found as hikers head to or from the mountains:
Rt. 93 – entrance to and parking lot at Flume visitors center / views of Franconia Ridge, Cannon Mt.
Rt. 175 – a nice little picnic spot near Woodstock / view up the Pemi River toward Liberty and Flume

Rt. 110 – view of Percy Peaks
Rt. 3 N of Colebrook – several nice views across the CT Lakes and Lake Francis
Rt. 26 near Colebook – nice views south to the White Mtns and more
Rt. 113 N. of Fryeburg – views across the corn fields to the mountains of NH and ME
Rt. 113A – views of the Sandwich Range
Rt. 16 pullout south of Conway – view of the Moats
Rt. 16 side road at Lake Chocorua – morning, noon, and night in any season

Some are off the beaten track but worth looking for:
Rt. 3 heading south from Meredith – view of Lake W and islands
Rt. 3 Saunders Bay– view across Lake W of the Ossipees
Rt. 11 lookout near Locke’s Hill – view of the Ossipees and more
Rt. 153 – view across Province Lake
Rt. 109 – views south of the Belknap Range
Rt. 28 at rest area lookout – views across Lake W to islands and Ossipees
Durgin Road – view of Ossipees

Rt. 113 – view of Ossipees

Some times you find a special one.

And the one closest and maybe my favorite is around the corner on Ridge Road. Sometimes all is hidden. Sometimes only the mountain tops show. Mt. Major

Some times people think they are seeing Mt Washington when only Chocorua is on the horizion. But sometime it all is there.

Morning sunrise in winter is stunning.

Pls bear in mind that info here is not subject to copywrite. That has to be done off the board by the author or publisher.

I don't understand what you're trying to get at.

information is never subject to copyright, only the wording or images used to express that information can be. Copyright protection is automatic as soon as the expression is recorded in any form, there's nothing that needs to be done "off the board" (except that prompt registration with the Copyright office is a very good idea - otherwise you aren't entitled to statutory damages or attorney's fees).

Folks posting photos here retain copyright to their photos. Folks posting simple facts like "there's a good view from road X" probably aren't entitled to any copyright protection (there's really no other way to express that fact).

A book author who gathers all the facts from this thread and compiles them into a book will be entitled to copyright protection on the book (for the layout, selection and organization, etc, plus any turns of phrase that are original).

. . . . that is one of the things I collect – views.

Great post! You've named several of my favorites, including:

- The Ossipees/Shaw Ridge as seen from Durgin Road, and

- The view north over Province Lake from 153. (This photo is actually from above that road-side spot, on little Province Mtn., but comes fairly close to the unobstructed road-side view at the south end of the Lake.)

Rt 110 about a quarter mile south of York Pond road looking west towards the cabot, the bulge, the horn and rogers ledge. Some folks see a Mt Mansfield type profile.

Rt 110 about a quarter mile south of York Pond road looking west towards the cabot, the bulge, the horn and rogers ledge. Some folks see a Mt Mansfield type profile.

Love that one as well. It tells me two things: I am almost at the end of a long drive (to Cedar Pond for the weekend) and tomorrow's destination is ready for me (Roger's Ledge).

I-93 Northbound 1.1 miles North of exit 23 (milemarker 70.2 or so), is a great view of Lincoln/Lafayette/Little Haystack 35 miles straight ahead. It looks like a single mountain but they are lined up in front of you. The view is nicely framed between Round Hill and Mt Prospect.

Last edited:
The road up to Mt. Prospect (Weeks State Park in Lancaster) has 2 pullouts for cars. The upper one is much better with views of most of the Whites from Franconia ridge all the way around nearly to the Killkenny ridge. There are comparable views from the end of the road at the top of the hill as well. Only driveable when the road is open - summer, and fall weekends, I believe; otherwise it can be easily walked.

From the north end of Shadow Lake in Concord VT is a stunning view across the water toward the presidentials. About a 10-minute dirt road drive off Route 2.

Lots of spots on Route 3 in Pittsburgh, especially when you come to the 1st Lake dam, and various other places along the road where you can see across the water. I like some of the views coming west back down the Magalloway Road as well, when you are starting to go downhill maybe a couple miles out from Route 3. These aren't so much spectacular mountain views as good, inspiring "distance" views.

My secret wild-strawberry picking spot with views of the Whites - sorry, I won't reveal its location!

Thanks for all the suggestions for the book

I am happy that the thread was reopened and have received many useful suggestions. Some I already know about but there were many of which I was unaware. I have photographed 78 views and plan to do 100 for the book. Some of these 78 are only fair in quality. If I can photograph well over 100 views, then I can select the best.

There were several suggestions of views from Interstate Roads. I know these views well and wish I could use them. But I would like for the reader to be able to stop the car and study these panoramas in safety. I do not feel that the Interstate is a safe place to do it even if you are on the shoulder pretending to fix a flat tire. Views from Interstate rest stops are OK

Let me comment on each post.

In answer to Papa Bear's question, logging roads open to the public are fair game. However, I would counsel my readers that logging trucks have the right of way. As long as the logging road when dry can be easily handled by a two-wheel drive vehicle a view from such a place is usable.

Answering Steve Hiker: The first view I worked up is the view from the rest stop on I-89 near exit 13. As for the outlook on Route 9 Vermont near Hogback Mountain, I will look at that again but I believe it looks mostly south and takes in very little of New Hampshire.

Thanks Jason for your suggestion of Route 118 on the shoulder of Moosilauke. We are doing that one.

Answering Mendon: See comment above about the Interstate. I shall certainly investigate the corn maze in North Danville VT

Replying to Amicus: Good suggestion -- Hurricane Road north of North Conway. Also Thanks for mentioning Evans Notch. I forgot about that. Crawford we are working on. The "moving view" on Route 16 north of Wakefield is not a good idea as you said that one must keep his eyes on the road. If there is a place to park in that area, I would like to know about it.

To Grayjay: We have Route 2 in Randolf covered but thanks anyway.

As for New Hampshire: The Route 115 view near Mt Martha is also planned to be used. However I would also be interested in looking at that view from 115A

Answering Raymond: I get the impression you are referring to "moving" views from I-93. I'd like to use them but for safety reasons can't.

Carole: I am glad to know that someone else is collecting views. I will state below which views from your lengthy list which I planning to use and will certainly look into the others. I did drive down Route 110 looking for a good view of the Percy Peaks. There was usually something amiss such as not a good place to stop along the road or else trees got in the way at a place where I could stop. Maybe I will drive that road again. With reference to the Colebrook NH, I need to go up there and have an extensive look. We are doing the view across Province Lake from Route 153.

Route 28 rest area lookout...is that just north of Alton? In what township is Durgin road? I don't think I have any others that are on your list and will certainly look into them.

Answering Peakbagger: Yes I must have a look at Route 110 south of York Pond Road.

To Paradox: Thanks for the suggestion but I think you are referring to a "moving" view. Any other ideas?

Reply to Umsaskis: We are doing the view from the top of the fire tower on Mt Prospect. I feel that covers the pullouts partway up the hill. My definition of "Roadside" includes walking up to 250 feet from where the car is parked. If that includes a tower, then we include it. Also I need to look into Route 3 in Pittsburgh that you suggested

Natreb brought out statements on copyright: I am no lawyer but here is my understanding of it with regards to this project. I cannot copyright any postings or photographs posted in this forum or elsewhere without permission of the originator. However, no one can copyright a view. That means I can take my own photographs, create my own panorama diagrams and copyright them. You can take your own photgraphs of the same view and even make diagrams from them and market them under your own copyright.

Many thanks for all the replies. Keep thinking of this project and continue to send me your ideas. This project is still a couple of years away from fruition and so there is plenty of time should you run across a new view.

Shincracker