ADK #46 Babeh!! Saddleback and back!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HuiYeng

Reaction score
After my miserable Seward Range hike, I was all set to finish my ADK 46 on either Haystack, Basin or Saddleback, either one would make a great peak to finish. Many interesting hiking options were discussed to make this a memorable finish but I ended up picked the most ridiculous option which may very well be the most memorable one after all. I decided to solo the Haystack and Basin the day before the finish, and then the next day, about 12 hours later, I'd hike in again with my friends to finish on Saddleback.

The weather was absolutely gorgeous the day I hiked Haystack and Basin. I was blessed with clear and warm day and had both magnificent summits all to myself. The trails after JBL were somewhat ragged, with thin snows covered the icy surface, it made the hike just a tad more challenging. But otherwise it was an absolutely fabulous day hiking in the Great Range.

I got back to the Hostel around 7 PM, met up with Damian (WSC) and Bob (NH_Mtn_hiker) and ran into Karen (kmac) who also stayed at the Hostel. Jason and Gillian joined us around 11:30 PM, and all of us the VFTTers take over the entire hostel.

The next morning, we met up with Jay and Mookie at the Garden trail head, a crew of 7 started the trek under a cloudy skies. We felt a couple of drizzle while at the parking lot, and it gradually turned into steady rain when we arrived at the Interior Outpost. We continued on under the cold rain, with Jason's singing to "entertain" us. Hmmm... I'm not sure which one was worst, listening to Jason's rendition of "It's My Party" or the rain :p? By the time we reached the east peak of Saddleback, we realized that we forgot our friends Jameson and Korbel at the Hostel, Heaven forbid I should have to finish my ADK #46 sober. So we decided to turn around. We descended down the mountain, back to the Hostel where we're happily reunited with Jameson and Kobel and a couple of fully body red heads. Mookie claimed that he had better things to do than hang around with us and left. I think he was going to the mall to pick up his Britney Spears "Womanizer" outfit for Halloween. Unlike last time when he was wearing Britney's schoolgirl outfit, I hope this time he'll shave his beard, for the children's sake!! Later Jason and Damian cooked us gourmet dinner. After dinner, Gillian tied us down to our chair to play board games, Damian showed off his vast knowledge in Trivial Pursuit and I kicked some asses in the most unlikely game that I can win, Balderdash! We drank, laughed and then drank and laughed some more, what a great company and great way to end the day. "Frick-an-deau"!!

The next morning, with most of the alcohols gone, there's no point of going back up to try to finish my 46 again. So instead, Damian and I headed over to Vermont, finished up my 5th VT 4000 footers on Killington.

7 days later, I finally saved enough gas money for another trip to Adirondack. I recruited 2 suckers, I mean friends to join me. This time, we made sure we have the trust worthy one to bear the alcohol. We made the summit at 11:58 AM under clear blue sky. We spent some quality time at the summit enjoying each other's company, well honestly, I only enjoyed the company of Jameson, Courtney and Kim were just OK. We got off the mountain and drove home under a beautiful crescent moon.

So finally, I want to thank the academy... oh no, the Adirondack Mountain Club, for maintaining the trails and blazing the herdpaths. The Spa-quality ADK mud had nourished my legs, added character to my boots. The cuts and bruises from pushing through some thicker HPs decorated my otherwise smooth arms, leaving a possibly permanent scar on my left arm that was collected from Marshall. No pain no gain, I guess.

Anyway many of you had hiked with me on my quest of 46, I very much appreciate all of you for being there with me. Jay, Jason, Gillian, Damian, Bob, mookie, Kim and Courtney, thanks for making my #46 so special and really memorable. It gives the lyrics "...you would cry too if it happened to you..." a whole different meaning to me from now on.

Pictures from Haystack, Basin and Saddleback and Saddleback the sequel

:D

Last edited:
Yeh!

Congratulations 7 Summits!

Entertaining report. This has reminded me that I was up on Jay Mt (solo)the same day you were doing Haystack and Basin. Must get my photos up!

That's a nice shot of the ice coming off the top of Basin. It was exactly 3 yars ago that I came down there in very similar conditions. There is no room for error there!

Congrautalions!

Congratulations Hui Yeng, from both of us, (including the one you refer to as the "Little Giant".)

Congratulations! I've enjoyed reading your reports and viewing your wonderful photographs. Sorry you lost one of your poles! I worry about that whenever I have to toss one...that it will bounce somewhere I don't want it to go. :eek:

Very entertaining trip report...especially the part about Britney Spears. Congratulations on your finish...glad I could be there with you...well actually...I was only there because Court had the Jameson :p. I think the whiskey was the only thing that made me feel better that day :D.

Glad I could be there. :D Congrats again, my friend!

She still needs Hunter and Slide. :)

Congrats HY, glad I could be there on some of them...

Jay

Congratulations Hui Yeng! Now maybe you'll stop running off to New York all the time - we miss you!

I still don't understand how the little summit mishap could happen (oh wait - was Jason in charge?)...but it does make for a good story:p.

Hey thanks guys. I'm still smiling about it. What a great feeling to finish it after obsessing about it all summer long.

Sabrina, I'm way too greedy to have only 1 favorite.

Lets see.... Sawteeth was my first summit in the Great Range. It was a cloudy day as I remembered the cloud drifted in and out seductively revealing the awesome views of the the surrounding mountains. The scars on the mountains mesmerized me, the their raggedness dazzled me.

My best ADK hike was the backpacking trip with Gillian, Jason and Lord Marc. The lean-to we stayed at has the most amazing sunset as far as I can remember. We're all just relaxing by the water, watching the sun slowly setting, the carefree feeling of being in the mountains with friends was priceless. And it is still very vivid in my memory.

I spent the most time alone at the summit of Basin. It being the 2nd to last summit before finishing the list, I was having the cliche moment that most of us have on a summit, reflecting the journey getting here, accidentally spilled the feeling that has been surpressed.

But if I have to pick one without too much "feeling", my favorite is Algonquin, simply because the views is awesome. Love how close Colden is from the summit. Amazing views into Avalanche Lake and Flowed Land.

I
2361_heart_beat.gif
ADK!!

Nice!!! Hey 7 Summits I've got some catching up
to do. Congrats on your ADK's 46's!!!!!:)

Yeah, Algonquin/Wright/Iriquois is an amazing circuit. That was a solo for me, too. I had Algonquin's summit all to myself on a sunny day, imagine that??!! I chose to descend via the Lake Colden Trail and return via Avalanche Pass...quite possibly one of the best hikes I've done in the Daks and definately ranks up there in the "top ten ever" hikes for me.

Basin is incredible! How'd ya like that crazy little ledge just beyond the big ladder??

I have to say that I think my favorite view in the Daks is from lil' Pyramid. Pretty amazing up close and personal view of Gothics and the Range. When I did Seymour-Seward-Donaldson-Emmons it pretty much spit rain and fog all day -- I hear those views are amazing so I'll just have to do the 347 mile one way drive back to experience them once more. Too bad you have vowed to never revisit the Seward Range! (you'll see, once you finally get the lists behind you you will want to revisit all the peaks you did in the rain on a sunny day!)

Good Job, Hyueng!!!!

Last edited:
(you'll see, once you finally get the lists behind you you will want to revisit all the peaks you did in the rain on a sunny day!)

You mean the ADK's actually get sunshine...I guess they did for her finish on Saddleback but I didn't see much of it before that day. Now that I've been out of the ADK loop for a while, I'm ready to start revisiting the places that I said I wouldn't go back to...on a sunny day.

I pretty much lucked out weatherwise. The only places I need to revisit in the sunshine are the Sewards, Cliff and Redfield, and Blake and Colvin. Give me a three day stretch of sunshine and that would be quite the uber-epic.

Memorial Day weekend, anyone??:D

I pretty much lucked out weatherwise. The only places I need to revisit in the sunshine are the Sewards, Cliff and Redfield, and Blake and Colvin. Give me a three day stretch of sunshine and that would be quite the uber-epic.

Memorial Day weekend, anyone??:D

That might be an option. Count me out for Blake though...twice was enough and it took Leaf agreeing to join me on a trip to Owlie to get me to leave Colvin. That was a fair deal huh Leaf?