sawyer river road

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THE WINTER WONDERER

Reaction score
anybody know what the big foundation next to the small house on sawyer river road used to be. i know that there used to be a logging railroad that ran in there didn't know if the remains had something to do with that.

They are remains of a now-defunct logging community known as Livermore. I am not sure what the building you refer to was, but there was an article on Livermore in AMC Outdoors a few months back. I have not checked but maybe the article is on the AMC website. There are also a couple of books on Logging Railroads of the White Mountains that have information on Livermore.

I believe it was the company office. You can still see the open safe in the cellar hole.

thanks for the input. I called my father who used to camp off sawyer road 30 or so years ago and he said this was the site of an old lumber mill. he also mentioned that the town of livermore was pretty much gone by 1925.

The Lost Constitution

If anyone is looking for a fun but good read where much of the action takes place in the White Mountains, check out William Martin's "The Lost Constitution."

In his novel, Martin uses the Livermore site on Sawyer River Road as one of his settings going back in time. He also sprinkles other parts of White Mountain history throughout the book, most of it surrounding the area around Crawford Notch.

It's in paperback now.

Here's couple of snapshots of sawmill

Here's couple of shots of the sawmill I took back in Aug 2006. Here's the brickwork from the boiler room located adjacent to sawmill buildings. It probably supplied steam to sawmill operations.

2097406790088087945S600x600Q85.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Additional view of boiler building brickwork

2009765900088087945S600x600Q85.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Looking back across wreckage back towards the boiler building

2639877910088087945S600x600Q85.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Some longitudinal shots of concrete foundations supporting the main sawmill building. They look true enough you could rebuild the building again. The closely space supports probably supported the main saws to ensure cut logs straight and true.

2218749580088087945S600x600Q85.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

last shot of along axis of the building. I gotta go off to work. :( Clicking on any of the pics takes you to my webshots album. Have a great day! Thanks for posting the question. Gives me opportunity to share my findings with readers!

2068733110088087945S600x600Q85.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

if you are intersted in seeing the extent of the settlement, try visiting it in the winter. The snow knocks down the underbrush and makes it a lot easier to see unnatural contours on the ground. There are many spots on both sides of the road that appear to have been graded for buildings at one time plus the sawmill remains are a lot easier to see

thanks guys for all the input. Hey tom good to here from you I am new to this forum but have been using it for a while now and truly enjoy reading your posts. how is atticus doing. I was deeply moved when i heard about the incident and have been praying for you guys ever since.